Sign in to follow this  
Drawster

Flickering distant terrain and building textures

I began to play Altis today for the first time and it didn't take me to long notice that some distant textures of terrain and buildings were flickering. Changing the video settings (within the boundaries the game still looking good) didn't do much difference. I checked if this occured also in Stratis and it did, but much less noticably. Maybe it's because the terrain is differend. In 2010 someone said that this happens because of something called z-fighting. Is this still the case or is it driver / hardware related? Im running A3 on GTX 690 and win7.

I recorded a brief video of the flickers:

Great video, your best course of action is to make a ticket on the bug tracker with that video, try and show examples of where you can see z-fighting occur(GPS coordinates etc). List your graphics settings too.

Oh right, why didn't it occur to me to make a ticket instead of a new thread. Anyway, the ticket has now been issued :]

I also noticed increased Z-fighting the past 2-3 weeks and it's especially noticable if you go prone in grass and look thru binocs with some grass/object in your FOV. It's a known issues since ArmA but BIS managed to minimize the effect in a later ArmA II patch.

Last time I tried it in A3 Beta a week ago it was flickering really bad. I'm using an old GTX 260 with 314.07 WHQL drivers.

/KC

Oh right, why didn't it occur to me to make a ticket instead of a new thread. Anyway, the ticket has now been issued :]

Can you link it here? I'd gladly vote it up.

The flickering seems to get worse when you go prone and zoom in with scope/binoculars etc. Test that and you might get the same results like me.

Changing any graphic settings doesnt help in my case.

easiest way to notice z fighting is getting in a helo, fly up high and go into a dive, terrain and sea will merge. it's worst if there's something close (cockpit) and something far (terrain).