Sign in to follow this  
GenPattonX

something about ghost addons

hey there

for as long as i can remember i have had this error:

- cannot load missions: missing addons "addon ID" -

i know this hasnt only happened to me, i did some search about this a few years ago but with no sucess and now recently i was curious to know if someone has found a solution, i searched again for a bit, but i think i found even less "info" then before. However i remember once reading something about "ghost addons"... i think the idea was that when we delete some addons, there is always some reference to it that remains and creates the error pasted above. And even when we are creating a mission and place some addons in the map, but later delete them, their reference still exists in the mission files.

But I'm not sure about this, now as personnal experience i always tryed to understand what was happening or how was it happening, but i don't think i ever have...

The error seems to suggest that some addons are missing in the "addons folder" from whatever directory one might have and so one only needs to find the missing addon. But the curious thing i noticed was that i needed to do the complete oposite: i had to remove the addon from its folder so the mission could load. o_O

I would like to highline this point: instead of having to find the missing addon, i had to remove it from my addons folder! Maybe it was creating a conflict with other addons or something?

What i hate is that this doesn't only happen with my missions i create in the editor, but also in the Resistance campaign for example, even when i want to watch a cutscene, it wont load because of this error. Here are the most common IDs i get:

cannot load missions: missing addons: fml_civilians

cannot load missions: missing addons: csj_vespa

cannot load missions: missing addons: jawa250mod

cannot load missions: missing addons: ashbmp2snow

actually that last one could be for any of the "ash" addon pack vehicles

Well what i would like to know is if someone has found a solution for this or not. I know this doesn't happen with all addons but still i wonder how people manage to avoid this error when creating mods and missions...

I am very ignorant concerning programming and even scripting or editing files, but sometimes struggling to understand what was happening i started to think that maybe the problem was that whoever made a specific addon, may have failed to write something in it that would allow the game to recognize or do something (this is where i am ignorant), but because they didn't, there is an error.

I have read that one should open the mission.sqm file of the mission and confirm in it if the addons are all there, or if there are any that aren't suppose to be there, but it doesn't make any sence to do that for any of the original game missions right? So how do i still get the error when trying to load the resistance campaign as i said?

I am surprized about how little attention this situation seems to have had, i mean as i wrote before i did some search but never found anyone who were really trying to understand this, and again noone seems to have found a solution...

maybe i am wrong?

plz reply guys

Edited by GenPattonX