Sign in to follow this  
Sniper_Kyle

Don't use Microsoft EMET to protect your system or you will be banned!

First off, EMET is made by microsoft and you can find more info here. Basically, it protects the memory of your programs so that if someone makes an exploit for that program, it will be very difficult if not impossible to use it on you, and give you a trojan or whatnot. I was just playing some Arma 3 wasteland, when I realized that the one program I hadn't protected against hackers is Arma 3. This series has been bombarded by hackers in the past, and I figure it's just a matter of time before one of them uses their hacks to exploit a bug and run unwanted programs on peoples' computers. Either way, I figured there's no harm in activating it for Arma 3.

After setting up all the memory protections for the game, I launched it and went back into the multiplayer server I was in (WS.ARMA.SU -Wasteland Sandbox- CA #1) and my game crashed. Damn, it looks like the game must use one of the features that EMET blocks (probably the heap protection was crashing it since Arma uses the heap extensively), so I disable that and go back in. Yes! No crash! Wait, what's this? "ADMIN KICK: Battleye hack #7". What is battleye hack #7? Crap! I had completely forgotten about Battleye when I was setting this up.

So first off, don't use EMET with Arma 3 even if you're security-conscious. Secondly, what do I do? Do the bans show what caused them, so you can see it was just caused by EMET? This doesn't seem like a global ban, so do I go bother the server admin about this?

Thanks, and be careful out there!

EDIT: I can show steps to reproduce this issue if necessary, to show what I did and maybe so that BE can avoid flagging this.

Edited by Sniper_Kyle

You were probably kicked for a BE GameHack when your game crashed, and when you rejoined an admin saw that and banned you.

You'll also probably be global banned at some point in the near future, but if EMET was in fact the cause of the kick, I am sure $able will be able to verify that and remove the global ban. It might not be possible to remove the EMET detection though if it's doing something similar to an actual cheat. You should probably contact BE now to prepare for this eventuality.

Thanks. I'll contact BE now just to make sure. As you can see from my profile I've been playing the series for awhile and would hate to miss out on wasteland nights whenever I'm not doing work, so I'll work to prove this. If it means firing up a debugger, process monitor, et.al. to show what EMET was doing to the arma3.exe process when it was enabled, then so be it :P

Guess I have to stop being so security paranoid xD

Guess I have to stop being so security paranoid xD

It's a lot of trouble but what about running A3 in a VM and using VT-d/AMD equivalent for GPU passthrough? KVM, Xen, ESXi can do it.

Thanks for letting me know, I'm sorry for that. This kick/violation should be fixed now.

Feel free to send the server admin a link to this post so that he will hopefully unban you.

I am sure $able will be able to verify that and remove the global ban.

Of course he is not globally banned.

Of course he is not globally banned.

Glad to see it's fixed. I assumed a global ban would probably be coming for him at some point due to the BE kick.

Nice spot Sniper_Kyle; and to $able for recognising and resolving the issue promptly.

Thanks a lot for being reasonable and let me know I can be of any help with BE development.