Sign in to follow this  
gopr0ne

New rig on the way....anticipated frame rates and display questions?

Hello fellow Arma enthusiasts!

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I didn't see an obvious area to address hardware questions, so my apologies if I missed it, but I'm hoping to get some insight from people more versed in this than me.

I've been playing Arma3 Digital Deluxe on my older system (Core i7 875k, msi R7850 Twin Frozr IV) using a single Acer H233H monitor. I've been able to get decent frame rates (30-60 max) with this set up with most of the settings that impact FPS at high or better if I keep the view distance in check (maybe 2300 or so max). So now, I've ordered a new rig and I'm trying to select an LCD display that will match well with the new system and Arma3. It seems there's been a lot of advancement in the display arena since I last upgraded my that component. Where response time was really the only big concern before, now it seems, in addition to response time, that input lag, panel type (IPS, TFT, TN, etc....) and refresh rate are just as much, if not more important. I've been reading through threads in different forums trying to get a grip on it all and it's apparent that there really is no magic bullet here. I know buying a monitor is really a crap shoot anyway and this is not meant to be a "which monitor is best" post, but more just looking for some insight from Arma gamers that have more experience and a better grasp on this than me.

I don't have my new system yet, so I really don't know how much of a boost in frame rate I can legitimately expect from the new hardware, which makes it difficult to be sure I'm not overbuying on the new monitor (not that that will happen I suppose with only a $200-$300 budget), but also what type of panel would be best suited and whether or not going with a 122Hz or 144Hz model would make any sense. Some reviews of the 122Hz and 144Hz models (Asus/BenQ) that I've read say that if your hardware isn't pushing 120 or 144 FPS, then the higher refresh rates are useless, which makes sense, but others say that it's a world of difference from 60hz no matter what. Then there's the panel type. The higher refresh rate TN panels are supposedly unmatched for gaming, but are pretty bad for general use like reading, web browsing and photo rendering with horrible color reproduction and text that is almost unreadable according to some. It seems lots of people returned these models because they couldn't deal with those issues. Then there's the IPS complaints of backlight edge bleeding to the point on some models that it overwhelms dark scenes and makes gaming almost impossible with dark scenes. As I use my one and only computer for more than just gaming, I'm finding it difficult to find the right balance between awesome gaming graphics and everyday use. I really hate to sacrifice either. So, any input on what display you use, how you use it and what you like and don't like about it would be much appreciated.

Here are the specs on the new rig. Going with single GPU for now, but expect to add 2nd vid card for SLI down the road. That said, any idea what kind of FPS I can reasonable expect with Arma3 from this set up?

:slayer:

Corsair Obsidian 550D

Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Expect to overclock to 4.0GHz - 4.4GHz)

ASUS Sabertooth Z87

16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX

750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated

1x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series

1x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series

1x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Edition

1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator w/2x Corsair SP120mm High Performance Fans

2x Corsair SP120mm High Performance Case Fans (Front Intake)

2x Corsair AF120mm High Performance Case Fans (Bottom Intake & Rear Exhaust)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Thanks for reading my long winded post. I hope to hear some valuable feedback from you hardcore Arma vets!

i have almost exactly the same system minus a couple of fans but i have a ATI Vapour-X 6GB and i'm maxing maybe 40fps on infantry showcase on ultra, 3000 meter view

Wow Rocksy! That's kind of disappointing to hear. I'm probably getting 35ish fps on infantry showcase, maybe 60 max flying helos. I was really hoping to see a significant boost from that. Maybe I should cancel my order....lol????

Hello fellow Arma enthusiasts!

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I didn't see an obvious area to address hardware questions, so my apologies if I missed it, but I'm hoping to get some insight from people more versed in this than me.

This very forum, right above your post :rolleyes:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147391-Will-my-PC-run-this-What-CPU-GPU-to-get-What-settings-What-System-Specifications

Closing - Please use the thread Messiah pointed out.