Sign in to follow this  
odyseus

How to make a icon for my model

Hello guys, I have a model i m working on and i need a icon to be used when the vehicle is being place on the editor. Can someone walk me through it or show me a good tutorial for it.

Thank you

Hello guys, I have a model i m working on and i need a icon to be used when the vehicle is being place on the editor. Can someone walk me through it or show me a good tutorial for it.

Thank you

Ok I got it!

Since i got no reply, I've decided to do one simple and fast tutorial on how to do one icon for your model.

First things first, find top view photo of you model. In my case I've used the picture below:

Then open a new file with the dimensions of 1386x1386 on your image manipulator software, like PHOTOSHOP or GIMP. In my case I am using GIMP. now through it in there.

9426060780_4a45bccc3c.jpg

Now with you image in there, use whatever means you know to remove the background. In my case i have used the Foreground Select tool .

9423294995_19c236e07c.jpg

Copy the selected image, then Open a new file. Make sure to select background Transparency.

Now with your new file open, past your image.

9426061106_94a25c6daf.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/9426061296_42dd5f6b4e.jpg (109 kB)

Now we need to change the colors so that it looks more like the BIS standard icons.

I choose to use "Adjust Brightness and Contrast". Now adjust the contrast so that it turn the image a nice shade of gray.

9423295451_683353e9a6.jpg

Save the image as .PNG - Example "A29_SuperTucano.png"

Open TexView 2. then open the file you have saved as .PNG and save it as .PAA in your addon folder. Example " A29_SuperTucano.paa" in "A_29SuperTucano" folder.

9426061630_ed2e39bfc6.jpg

Now you need to tell ARMA engine that you have the image in the file.

Go to your model config and put this line in there;

9426061840_bf485145af.jpg

Example

Icon = "\A29_SuperTucano\A29_SuperTucano_Icon.paa";
       picture = "\A29_SuperTucano\A29_SuperTucano_Icon.paa";

Finaly PBO your file and "“Voila!â€

PS. I've notice that my icon is upside down in correlation to the model, make sure to have your image front facing up not down like I did. :P Sorry

Anyways I hope you guys like it.

Edited by Odyseus

Gnat;2457124']Nice Tut' date=' but yes, you have to have the front as up.[/quote']

Thanks Gnat.

Guys feel free to make any correction and additions. This way we can turn this small tut into a nice complete tutorial. ;)

Do you have an idea why, following your process, my icon is so small in the editor ?

To gave you an idea what i did and how : i just printscreen my model from o2 in top view, then put it in photoshop, align it so that borders of the model are borders of the image, then converted it to .paa .. And Voilà, it's small.

mapSize = 33;

In the config, determines the size of the icon in the map view etc (approx meters)

God... Not even an auto-scalable icon by calculating max y/X of the model ?

This engine is fabulous. Each tool seems to be made by the Devil himself.

I just noticed that O2 isnt in meters : i think each unit of the grid is about 0.6 o 0.8 meter.

Not sure, but i use the measure tool to calculate from origin, and i counted +15x x10y, so i wrote mapSize = 25; , guess what ? Not matching XD

god... Not even an auto-scalable icon by calculating max y/x of the model ?

This engine is fabulous. Each tool seems to be made by the devil himself.

I just noticed that o2 isnt in meters : I think each unit of the grid is about 0.6 o 0.8 meter.

Not sure, but i use the measure tool to calculate from origin, and i counted +15x x10y, so i wrote mapsize = 25; , guess what ? Not matching xd

lol :d

O2 is in meters

EDIT: FYI the WHOLE icon is the 33 meters. if your "vehicle" doesn't go from edge to edge, it wont be 33meters on the map.

Gnat;2489094']O2 is in meters

EDIT: FYI the WHOLE icon is the 33 meters. if your "vehicle" doesn't go from edge to edge' date=' it wont be 33meters on the map.[/quote']

That's exaclty what i did : measured my model on O2 (xz in both direction from pivot origin, approx 25 units / meters), then made my icon to occupy 100% of the document (100% in x and 50% in z) and so wrote in the config file 25m : object is facing the right direction, but do not have correct measures.

Hmmm ..... odd

Ingame, in the map I myself have not actually measured it to the centimeter ..... especially as it changes a bit as you zoom in and out.

I just note that its about the right size in the map ......