Sign in to follow this  
soccermiles

World Format?

Hello, I have a series of questions concerning Arma 3 world data.

Is it legal to create your own Arma 3 maps?

If so, how should I format and place my maps so that they will be detected by the game at startup?

Is it possible and legal to place structures from other maps in Arma 3 on a custom map, as described above?

NOTE: I will be generating my terrains procedurally, and prefer to skip the use of editors, if at all possible. It would be nice to be able to place static objects procedurally as well.

EDIT: I will be programming my generator in C++, so I can deal with binary formats, assuming it is legal for me to directly create binaries.

Thanks for your time,

-Miles

Edited by soccermiles

Mate, I have no clue how you would do that apart from using Bulldozer and Visitor and some other stuff. Maybe pm this guy: IceBreakr

Sorry, Dale. It seems I'm unable to PM anyone unless I've made at least 2 threads (this is my first). Could you PM him, and direct him to this thread? EDIT: It seems I only needed to make 2 posts, and this is my second (both in this thread, of course). I have PM'd him.

Hello, I have a series of questions concerning Arma 3 world data.

Is it legal to create your own Arma 3 maps?

If so, how should I format and place my maps so that they will be detected by the game at startup?

Is it possible and legal to place structures from other maps in Arma 3 on a custom map, as described above?

NOTE: I will be generating my terrains procedurally, and prefer to skip the use of editors, if at all possible. It would be nice to be able to place static objects procedurally as well.

EDIT: I will be programming my generator in C++, so I can deal with binary formats, assuming it is legal for me to directly create binaries.

Thanks for your time,

-Miles

Addon placement: I assume you have to use the pbo format. Place the addon in a modfolder in A3 root (@TEST\addons\testisland.pbo)

Islands are mods like any other out there - and as the developers even enforce community modding, I guess its also allowed.

Regarding objects from other islands: if the objects are available in a standalone addon, it shouldn't be a problem to use them.

If you take stuff from other islands without them being released as a separate addon, you should ask the respective author.

In general:

Most terrain editors wish for new tools (Visitor 4 so to speak) and I guess everyone tries to use as much Visitor workarounds as possible - so your idea is very welcome :cool:

Feel free to develop editors - like in ARMA2 we had great tools like World Tools by Shezan74 or the Roadpainter by Homer Johnston - they did a great job and dramatically sped up editing. If I had more skills, I would do it myself..unluckily - I haven't.

I wonder if you can totally suspend Visitor 3 - basically yes, I guess. You "just" have to find a way to generate the files that are needed for maps - I guess one could do that if one had skill and time :) Best start with Mikeros Tools or contact him directly, he is the most skilled person in the community when it comes to create all kinds of Arma Formats.

If you got more questions, feel free to ask...

Edited by ZeroG

Since the legal issues are covered then, what I need is some documentation on the PBO format. Can anyone point me to something like that?

Also, from what I've heard, each Arma uses a slightly different PBO format, so I'll need the documentation for the one which applies to Arma 3.

So, It's not legal for me to include objects from Bohemia's official built-in islands, unless I get direct permission (which may be more or less likely)?

Edited by soccermiles
"unless I get direct permission..."

Since the legal issues are covered then, what I need is some documentation on the PBO format. Can anyone point me to something like that?

Also, from what I've heard, each Arma uses a slightly different PBO format, so I'll need the documentation for the one which applies to Arma 3.

So, It's not legal for me to include objects from Bohemia's official built-in islands, unless I get direct permission (which may be more or less likely)?

It is allowed to use the A3 Vanilla content - as you bought the game and can place the included objects in 2D editor as you prefer. Restriction applies to community authors that have released an all-in-one island only to be used as such.

For pbo format and conversion tools, go HERE, HERE and HERE.

Edited by ZeroG

So, I see there are very specific data structures designed to be used in these files. Does BI release a C or C++ API which can be used to read or write these files and/or contains these struct definitions for public use? Would it be legal for me to make and distribute a free API, if BI does not have one?

No, there is no such API. I personally doubt that it would be illegal to make / distribute such an API although I'm not sure.

As mentioned by ZeroG before, the best way of developing such a thing would be by contacting Mikero or even a BI Developer and finding out more about how those files are set up.

Okay. I already sent email to a couple of BI's public email addresses, but haven't received any response, so I'll ask Mikero. I'm not sure how I would find out how to contact one of the devs.

Although that is far from some official statement: since OFP days, community devs have been using custom API..and there has never been any major problem regarding BI with that (afaik)