Sign in to follow this  
Raandom

Two questions regarding model-reuse and modules

Hey,

I have some (at least I hope) smaller questions:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?98880-How-do-you-create-a-module

1. While creating a module, you can add EventHandlers, can you add more then the init eventhandler there? Can't find any documentation :/

2. Is it possible to reuse existing models etc. to create new items (I'm focussing on recreating some magazines for a special purpose and want to reuse other mag models there, and adding other small items but have no modelling-knowhow).

Thx (:

I cannot really speak to the first question, as I know very little about it, however the second one I will address completely. When we talk about "re-using" or "porting" a model, there are a few considerations that need to be taken. Firstly, reverse-engineering any BI model or such is not allowed, however simply re-texturing the model and publishing with credit from BI is permitted. Taking a privately made model and doing the same is also prohibited, you need to ensure if you are wishing to make a modification that you are allowed to modify and re-publish the model, and if you are going to modify it that you have obtained the source files from the author legitimately. Finally, taking copyrighted material such as from other games and using it is also not allowed unless you have permission, which would be doubtful.

If you plan on making some modified models, make sure that you have complete permission to do so, and you'll be in good shape.

Richards

There are models BIS release for whatever purpose you would like, understanding that you are agreeing to the terms when you download them.

Well, what I was talking about is: I don't want to republish the model as I'm aware of the fact that I'm not allowed to do so.

Can I simply add a new magazine, set it's model when taken out of the inventory to a model the bi mag's are already using but config wise? Or do I really have to republish the model in my PBO. I think I'm allowed to add content if I simply reuse the model in the config, without having to unpack their stuff and copy it into my addon.

You absolutely are allowed to do that. That is why there are many re-skins of things on the downloads, it is completely fine. You may take a BI model say, re-texture it and pack it into a new PBO as long as you didn't actually modify the model itself, its textures and such are absolutely fine.

Is there a tutorial somewhere how to do that? Only can find overloaded modding-tuts for that stuff but no simple How to create a new mag and copy the model from a old one tut (: