Sign in to follow this  
GenPattonX

can i change the name of ingame addons?

I have downloaded this addon: "Ukrainian T-72 and T-55" from this site: http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?sekce=unofaddons/vehicles, it basically contains two tanks.

I haven´t played OPF in a few years, just decided to get back in again and i rememer that my problem in my mission editor at some time was the enormous amounts of addons all randomly listed with different names - we can find the game default addons, for exemple for a T80 tank, in the "armoured" section or class, so it gets confusing when all other vehicles one can download, or in this case, armoured units dont go into that same section, and instead the downloaded addon get a section of its own.

So is it possible to make my "Ukrainian T-72 and T-55" addon tanks go into the "armoured" section/class of the units in the mission editor?

I'm not sure if i was able to explain this clearly, if not tell me so, and i will try again (sorry english is not my first language)

thx anyway

Edited by GenPattonX

You've to unpack pbo file in pbodecrypter and change in config.cpp section "vehicleclass" from current name to armoured or other what you want.

thank you, i think i got it, i found some more info about this too.

ok i dont think i got it after all....

The pbodecrypter you are talking about is the same thing the unpbo.exe program right? i ask because when i searched i found "pbodecrypter" and a "unpbo" program, but they seem to be the exact same thing. Anyway i decompressed my pbo addon named "ukr_t72.pbo" and the program created a log file with the same name and in the same directory where my addon was, and also created a folder, with the same name which contains scripts, files, etc. I cant find any "config.cpp" anywhere there, and even if i do find it, dont i have to recompress the addon? i am not sure how this works, plz help i am confused.

now i have another problem, what program allows me to view, read, open and edit that config file or any other files with extensions like .cpp, .pac, .paa ?

.cpp can be opened with a text editor.

.paa and .pac are textures files which can be opened with TexView.

i donwloaded Context editor, and will try it out, but just let me know if u guys suggest getting any other text editor that might be simple and easy to use.

OMG NOTEPAD I AM SO NOOOOOOOB XD

but i still have a question... after i changed the vehicle class in the cpp file what do i do next? i mean the addon was decompressed, how do i get the addon back with its changes saved in it?

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

guys i i am getting a little frustrated because i just need one last good answer plz. -.-

to change the "class" of my addon, i used "unpbo" program to decompress the pbo file right? when i did that i got a folder with the addon's same name with all the addon file's contents, including the "config.cpp" where there i am suppose to change the "vehicleClass=" to change the class in which my addon goes in the mission editor. but my question still is: what happens next? what happens after i change the "vehicleclass=" in the "config.cpp" !!!!!????? plz someone !!!!!!! I cant just save it and go back into the game, because the pbo file is not changed, because i only changed the config.cpp file that was decompressed from the original addon! plz how does the changes i made in the config.cpp get saved in the original addon pbo file!?!?!?!?

plz help

ok i didnt see this thread moved to its second page, my bad XD

thank you for answering guys about the "make pbo" - i knew something like that was missing, i just dont understand why people only give bits of information at time, like eye droppers LOL, instead of giving me the full tutorial XD (maybe that's ask too much, i know who's got the time and patience for noobs XD)

and i know there is a search engine, i have noticed it everytime i created a thread today and yesterday and i looked into the related threads none of them was able to provide me with the answer, because people are not so noob like me and get what they need to know after the first person posts something XD

oh and both your links from http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index didnt work for me - it just wont load

--------

nevermind the links just worked fine -.-

Edited by GenPattonX

GUYS !!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!! IM SO HAPPIIEEEEE !!!! XDDDDD

My addon, which consists of two tanks is no longer in a separated folder in the mission editor, they are in the "Armored" folder/class next to all the other default armored units of the game - SO BEAUTIFUL XDD

But man i have to admit this was quite an operation for me XD (proud of being noob XD)

-

One last question, actually more of an opinion.... is it worth it? I mean the whole point of changing the class name of the addon is to, in a long term not to have complete caos of addons in my mission editor, as i remember it was the case a few years ago when i had like 380 addons all together in the main OPF addon folder. My mission editor was a complete mess back then, and i dont want that again... but is this the best way to do it? i mean it will take me forever to change the class of all the addons i might want to get... if i get like 100 addons and want to organize them into their proper classes i will have to unpbo, edit the name and then repbo each and everyone O.o

i guess my question is: isn't there an easier way?