Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

CAUTION: Don't crash your PC while updating Arma 3...

So while updating to the latest dev branch today I unwittingly unplugged my USB sound card so I could revert to my laptop's speakers and listen to some iTunes while I wait for the update.

I wanted to kill some time before I could play Arma 3. Unfortunately, I got a Windows 8 BSOD instead and upon rebooting Steam has decided that I don't have Arma 3 Alpha installed at all. It is now engaging in a 5.4GB download.... great!

I thought Steam was meant to be smart and be able to detect corrupt files or what have you and minimize bandwith usage... In this case I actually got a "detecting already installed files" dialog before it proceeded to re-download the whole SOB.

Word to the wise: don't mess with your PC while updating on Steam if you value your bandwidth (and time).

Fortunately I live in central London...

arma3download.jpg

Ouch

I also thought Steam was supposed to be able to repair corrupt files

That would be quite a feat. Probably resume, if install/download was paused in an orderly fashion, but an abrupt disconnect would lead to spurious file parts being present. I would assume it does a complete replace (full re-download) of corrupt files

Edited by Old_Painless