Sign in to follow this  
flashvenom

nOOb Guide / Multiplayer Tutorial?

I'm new to Arma 3. I gotta say, getting started has been duanting. I guess I'm just here to say, with Arma 3 you are getting a lot of exposure and visibility and there has got to be some resources for new players coming in.

I've been picking up bits and pieces from other players, but no one wants to hold a noob's hand for that long. A PDF Guide, or a YouTube tutorial would go a long long way.

-Basic Movement (ADS took me a few minutes to find)

-Multiplayer basics (How to ID teammates/emenies, chat channels, etc)

-Map/Environment Tips (how to find stuff on the map, map legend, and where to find Ammo/Cash/Guns/Etc)

It's only my second time playing the game so I'm not expecting to have/understand everything off the bat, but I feel completely abandonded.

I love the feel of this game, and am eager to get over this learning curve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The reason you feel 'abandoned' is because there is no tutorial. The reason there is no tutorial is that this in an Alpha.

The final released version on store shelves will have a full tutorial just like the prior games.

If you want a tutorial then play Arma 2 : Operation Arrowhead's. There is a large number of tutorial missions to slowly drip feed this complex game to you. I am not surprised that you are struggling as I would be to if I had never played Arma and picked up a game that is still in Alpha phase of development. Arma 3 Alpha is not a marketing term as many seem to believe!! Its been put in place to (a) involve the community in ironing out bugs before it goes to market (b) appease the hardcore community who couldn't wait any longer :P. Its not for new entrants to the series despite the £20 price tag.

Get Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead and you'll see. Also, you get the benefit of integrating this content into A3 through allinarma mod so its not money wasted just for tutorials. Also the campaign is great.

If you want to learn about Arma 3 then check out dslyecxi's youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi?feature=watch

Its a good source of Arma knowledge in general.

if you want to script /make missions then check the BIS wiki: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page

if you want to make stuff in arma then check Gnat's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnat666x?feature=

hope that helps :)

I'm new to Arma 3. I gotta say, getting started has been duanting. I guess I'm just here to say, with Arma 3 you are getting a lot of exposure and visibility and there has got to be some resources for new players coming in.
Ignore sproyd's unhelpful advice, at the current point in time there's plenty of YouTube videos introducing Arma 3, depending on what you want to know.
-Map/Environment Tips (how to find stuff on the map, map legend, and where to find Ammo/Cash/Guns/Etc)
The first two may vary, but "where to find Ammo/Cash/Guns/Etc" sounds like you're thinking of "Wasteland" matches.

As far as "basic movement", my advice is to go into the Editor from the main menu, then double click a spot on the land, accept the default options, then click Preview. You'll be playing as a BLUFOR Rifleman in the equivalent of sandbox mode; no enemies, no allies, just you with your MX rifle and your P07 pistol, free to run around, shoot some rounds, and try out the controls (which you can find in Options from the main menu or pause menu) without having to worry about any mission objectives. Whenever you get bored or run out of ammo, just Abort the "mission" (the Editor preview session) and you'll be back at the Editor screen, where you can click Preview if you want to try again.

Tip: Before clicking Preview, double click a spot near the BLUFOR Rifleman, then change BLUFOR to Empty, then Air to Ammo, then place one of the different "[bLU]" choices such as Support, or Special Weapons; when you click Preview, you'll have a box which you can run to and by using the action menu (mouse wheel) or the inventory menu (press I) you can check out what's inside; moving around your equipment and a box's contents is done by drag-and-drop.

-Multiplayer basics (How to ID teammates/emenies, chat channels, etc)

Wouldnt such a tutorial be extremely dependent on mission? A properly made mission details such information in the prelaunch details or crates are provided within 10-30m of spawn.

There is a quite a difference between SoAK's Whole Lotta War, Wasteland, Stratis Life, coop missions, aas missions.

Most importantly Remember this is alpha. Shit may change on you.

or as my SL used to say. Shut the hell up and do what I do.

Edited by Masharra

@Chortles - I wasn't trying to be unhelpful or facetious, quite the opposite! Arma 3 can't be early to learn from scratch - I would honestly start with the A2 OA tutorials.

@Chortles - I wasn't trying to be unhelpful or facetious, quite the opposite! Arma 3 can't be early to learn from scratch - I would honestly start with the A2 OA tutorials.
Unfortunately it did certainly come off as facetious. :( Or rather, it came off way too much like posters who hype up Arma's "hardcore milsim" almost to the point of caricature.

I agree that the full scope of what's possible in Arma 3 is too much to easily learned from scratch, but specific questions can be answered just fine... although as Masharra said, some of these are very mission-specific.

flashvenom, there ARE a bunch of YouTube tutorials out there. What is it about "basic" movement that you need? I mean, the adjustable stance system and lack of jump (V is stepover instead) are the main infantry movement control differences from conventional FPS games.