Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

AI acting fools with getting in and out of boats - your suggestions welcome

So I've got two problems with AI divers interacting with an inflatable boat.

1) Disembark. When I ask select AI in cargo of a boat to disembark while out to sea, even though they are diver units, the AI driver tries to take the boat to land to let the cargo units out. This is despite the fact that the AI driver is not part of their or my group.

The workaround for this is asking them to eject, i.e. 6 then 1. However, that is counter-intuitive to somebody playing my mission so I have to prompt them to use eject rather than disembark. Other tricks I've tried is setfuel 0 to stop the boat going to shore but then I have to script in a trigger for the fuel to come back on once we swim out of the area and its prone to bugs like if the boat drifts out of the area while at 0 fuel.

2) Get in that boat for extraction!

Same thing. Boat stops 50m off the beach and I ask AI units on the land to get in the boat. Despite the fact I am not instructing the AI driver of the boat and haven't communicated with him, he decides to come into shore to pick up the troops I've just ordered to get in/swim to his boat and in the process beaches the boat EVERY TIME making it an unwinnable mission. The workaround is to setfuel 0 again but then the AI get confused and seem to mull around the shore waiting to be picked up rather than swim out to get in the boat.

I'm open to all ideas and appreciate our help!!

Thanks mikerally - the first link could help although I can't say I fully understand the reverse script - I'll have a play with it.

The second link doesn't really help because they are beaching the boat and I think it would be near impossible to get it off the beach after that.