Sign in to follow this  
Boresight

TOH Hinds - Very difficult to shot down other Helicopters

Hello,

I'm enjoying a lot both TOHelicopters and TOH Hinds.

However, after reading experiences from other forum members and trying myself shoting down enemy helos with my Mi-24 (whichever version), I find it really difficult to put my weapons on target.

Either as Pilot, or as Gunner.

Any sugestions?

I've never tried air to air combat in TOH, but, I guess with any air to air combat you want to

get in close

from behind

and above

and lead your target, probably more than you think you need to.

If you have an ai gunner shooting, I would tell him to only open fire once you don't have a high degree of angle-off movement. Meaning, you want the helicopter to be fairly stationary in your windscreen.

The thing with the Hind is it is very fast and has amazing dive performance- unfortunately, this means that you're very prone to overspeed, even in a shallow dive. This makes energy fighting in the helicopter extremely complicated. Also it has pretty poor acceleration so you don't want to be dumping energy doing tight turns with it.

Edited by Max Power

Fully understood your advice Max Power (as I'm really an air combat enthusiast), and already saw something like that kind of jet fighter like "pursuit" at some ARMA II video on youtube.

Your advice was for playing as Pilot I believe.

However I'm trying to shot enemy helo's as Gunner, which was fine with Mi-24 version with moving gun turret, if the Pilot kept the enemy helo within the gun turret covering angle.. which he doesn't.

( Apparently the AI Pilot keeps going to the enemy base and turns is back on 2 incoming enemy helos. )

Is there any way of making AI Pilot keep pointing (if on stationary), or pursuing enemy helos?

If this is a custom mission you would want to make yourself the commander of the group, and then tell the pilot to target the helicopter.

If this is a custom mission you would want to make yourself the commander of the group, and then tell the pilot to target the helicopter.

That really seems to be what I'm after - because managing the Hind's (amongst others) weapons systems really is my passion!

As I'm yet very noob , could you tell me what are the key commands to issue that order to pilot?

Thank you.

( I don't know if I'm commander, as my mission is a saved one, from challenges. )

You're probably not the commander in that case... but if you press 2, then select the helicopter from the target list, you should issue a verbal command to the pilot to target the helicopter.

Thank you - I'll try it now.

By the way, which sub-menus should I choose to create a 1 vs 1 custom mission to put an Mi-24 aginst other helo?

I've tryed at challenges; at editor; at free flight; but no avail.

Hello again Max Power,

Thank you for the advice, I've created a custom mission after managing to put the units on the map.. as no menu opened before I click 2 times at the map, I took my time... LOL

- the ranks list, doesn't have the 'Commander' rank, the highest one is 'Colonel', which was the one I choose;

- the keys 1 to 9 only show two options - status and reply (if I remember correctly);

- the TAB key in fact issues some verbal command, I believe from me to the Pilot to lock some close targets, helos; tanks ect

So I'm not getting that target list menu where the helicopter option is.

What do you think I might be doing wrong?

The pilot is always the commander unless you do the following:

create a player character

create another character to be your pilot

link the two characters by using the group tag and dragging from the pilot character to the player character. The player character should be in command now.

Now place an empty hind from the 'empty' side.

now you can get in the empty hind and order your pilot into the pilot seat, or...

You can name your hind something in the editor... perhaps name it HIND.

Then in the init field of the pilot put

this moveInDriver HIND;

and for the player character

this moveInGunner HIND;

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/moveInDriver

Ok, will try it tomorrow.

I've been playing till now and I'm enjoying TOH Hinds a lot - dropping a FAB bomb at Cruiser Ships in Seattle, sinks them right away!

Already 4:17 AM hours here in Portugal, and got school tomorrow.

Thank you again!