Sign in to follow this  
Epyon9283

Bad looking textures with radeon 8500

I have horrible banding on textures in the game. They all look like like they are low color or something. I'm running at 1024x768@32bit color. Its really apparent looking at the moon or clouds. Also, the performance is quite bad. Its almost no better than my old geforce 2 gts. I can live with the craptacular performance but the ugly textures have to go. Anyone know how to fix it?

Sys Specs:

Win XP Pro

1.4ghz athlon

512mb ram

radeon 8500 128mb

Chances are its the radeon. sad.gif They've started cutting corners trying to get things built fast.  Try looking into new drivers or the advanced d3d settings on your card.  There should be a mipmapping performance drag down box.  Right click your desktop, go to display properties, settings, advanced. There should be a tab with your cards name on it. Open that and go to additional properties.  There should be a tab with direct3d settings.  Under mipmap level you might want to try best quality if its not on it already.  Your settings menu may be slightly different than mine. I bought a geforce 4 after radeon went down the hole. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Draxanoth @ July 27 2002,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Chances are its the radeon. sad.gif They've started cutting corners trying to get things built fast.  Try looking into new drivers or the advanced d3d settings on your card.  There should be a mipmapping performance drag down box.  Right click your desktop, go to display properties, settings, advanced. There should be a tab with your cards name on it. Open that and go to additional properties.  There should be a tab with direct3d settings.  Under mipmap level you might want to try best quality if its not on it already.  Your settings menu may be slightly different than mine. I bought a geforce 4 after radeon went down the hole. confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The dialog and settings you are describing is specific to NVIDIA video drivers, and don't apply to his ATI Radeon card. And cutting corners or trying to build things fast won't cause banding in textures.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the card, it has to be a configuration setting, or a problem with the video drivers.

In OFP go to Video Option and move the Gamma down and back to where it was, that should fix it

I have ATI Radeon 8500LE and teh colors get messed up and darker when I alt tab or launch into game.

ATI has a preset Gamma for the desktop, and when you alt tab or launch the gamma get set in the game too.

If that doesnt work.. I dunno lol

The cards aren't bad, but the drivers aren't up to snuff. But the drivers will get better over time, so if you can live with a few rough edges for now, you might still consider the ATI cards.

People are reporting problems with every brand of video card in these forums, no vendor is exempt. Usually it boils down to old or buggy drivers, or some user-selected settings that are causing the problem.