Sign in to follow this  
E6Rackley

Mortars

Just curious if anyone else has though about this or not, or if any one who reads this can do anything about this request. I was just brain storming and thought it would be cool if there were actual stationary mortar tubes placed about, and new soldier profile as a mortar man/ Forward Observer. The Mortar would have to be loaded one round at a time with a ammo crate next to the tube (max 20 rds), a forward observer would assist in shot placment ofeach round. The way I see this working would be the Mortar man would bring up map and click on a grid coordinate to fire upon, and as in real life the FO would direct fire. This could also work with arty as well. Well again my thoughs of making game even better. Have fun with htis post nad let's run with it till someone sees it who can make this happen.

Yep, this is one of the most requested addons actually, because it would fit so well into the game smile.gif

Those crappy rifle-launched "mortars" arent a very good fire support. sad.gif

mortars, yes.

fire by clickin on map, no.

we need to have mortars, but we also should be able to aim them somewhat like in real life...

we had loads of long discussions about this in the old general forum...but the threads are gone now.

hey Pete in real life you would use a forward observer and also call for fire on a grid corrdinate, not really a accurate sighting system on theses things. I think unless someoone uses an FO the shot placment would be random anywhere within a 4 grid Coordinate. Let's keep this going. Another though I had was A MK-19 but this wouldn't fit into the time period the game covers, but good for user created maps.

I would love to see mortars in the game. Anyone with a "radio" could be a FO and adjust fire as long as he knows what he is doing. I think it would be hard to get right in single player but would be great as a multiplayer asset, although I dont think to many people would want the job of mortarman. As for MK-19 I would love to see that also but for solely user created missions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from E6Rackley on 8:50 am on Nov. 13, 2001

hey Pete in real life you would use a forward observer and also call for fire on a grid corrdinate, not really a accurate sighting system on theses things. I think unless someoone uses an FO the shot placment would be random anywhere within a 4 grid Coordinate. Let's keep this going. Another though I had was A MK-19 but this wouldn't fit into the time period the game covers, but good for user created maps.

<span id='postcolor'>

i was a mortar soldier in the army, and i also played the role of forward observer...these things are more accurate than you believe smile.gif

we should be able to aim them as in real life, so a good skilled mortar team will fire more accurate than a newbie mortar team, no click-on-the-map-automatic-aim

devildog..im sure many would play the role of a mortar man if it was correctly implemented.

like a m2 mg...except movable, you could place it somewhere and then walk away if out of ammo or just bored of being a mortar man.

havent you seen how willing many are to simply transport troops with jeeps or choppers..they dont kill much at all unles they drive over someone, but they give a lot to the teamwork....mortars would be very much the same.

no different than being the driver of a tank when the gunner has all the fun.

id love to see mortars and also artillery in the game. not full blown artillery, because the islands are too small but some smaller artillery. maybe mini-self propellered howitzers wink.gif

It would also be nice it we could have

vehicle mortar's for both sides; e.g:

m113mortar or bmpmortar

I know it's beating a dead horse, but let me throw my chip in too. Mortars would be great. I'd love to see them in, say, 1.4 maybe?

mortars are great for supressing fire witha foce for god's sake the rifle mortars are useless in combat because you have three rounds and there short range if you suck at em

I strongly agree with this one better than the rifle mortars

I personaly would love to have mortars. It would add to the gameplay so much. With a 60mm and a 81mm you could have some fun. But I dont think artillery would be that good. Well.. more correctly too good. Artillery on an island that small could be decamating. Real artillery is much more effective than people give it credit. Esp. Hollywood.

60 to 80 mm Mortar teams...(note TEAMS! like crew for tanks)

and Infantry Guns!! ..... like small anti-personel and anti-tank artillery...but its used over 800m max...

Well mortars would be nice and atillery also i saw in mp a atillery object but it couldn`t fire so there is the star of the atillerweapon you only there is also ammo i saw by making a map for attilery but there is no device tho use the shels and the gun maybe it would be handy if that goes mortar teams wouldn`t work i think but allready placed mortars with a place for one gunner will be verry nice or mortars with one ai

i just thougt, a howitser should me movable, usually the gun it self are not to fast.. it should be possible to have it attached to a 5t truck .addning more reality..? wholdthatbe possible?

I totally agree with having some type of playable fire support, mortars or arty.  You'd really only need one or the other to get the job done.

Here's a good example:

http://www.defenselink.mil/photos/Jan1996/960102-A-6435A-002.jpg

That way on MP games you could actually call for fire and have "human error" to make it interesting.

Being an FO for several years in the U.S. Marines, I see a problem with accurate fire.  It would take a lot of coding to add a true FDC (fire direction and control), a whizwheel, and you'd have to have different  propellant charges in order to get distance right.  While I'm all for it, I don't see BIS adding anything realistic anytime soon.