Sign in to follow this  
Tac1

Suffers from the same issues as ArmA 2

I love the ArmA series, always thought it had tremendous potential and offered something that no other game did, a simulation experience to tactical fps combat. Unfortunately, the devs nor community have been able to find a way to make multiplayer tvt accessible and realistic. I hope ArmA 3 isn't going to be headed down the same path. Here's some of the concerns/suggestions I have from playing Alpha thus far.

Here's the issue when it comes to accessibility. It's not about making the gameplay easier or less hardcore, it's about making the game itself more user friendly. The game needs to be easy to get into (simply being able to actually play), but hard to master. By that I mean a user shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops simply to be able to connect to a server and enjoy the full potential of the game. On ArmA 2 to get into a good server, they were always passworded, and then you had to download 3rd party clients that were extremely cumbersome and added all sorts of modifications to your client. ArmA 3 needs an in-built mod client similar to NS2, to eliminate the need for players to scour the web for all the different utilities (and tutorials to install them) they needed to connect to the select few populated and regulated servers. In short, bring ArmA 3 into the modern era in terms of MP functionality, features, and access. Doing so helps the game grow and eliminates the frustration and time required in years past with ArmA 2 MP. I think some of that responsibility is with the community and server operators as well to foster growth and make the scene more user friendly.

Secondly, the UI and particularly scoreboards needs to be updated, seriously nothing has really changed there at all at this point. More importantly, in a game that's all about teamwork and coordination more features need to be implemented to make those things easier to execute, or at least encouraged. I think a few pages could be stolen from PR in that regard. Which leads me to my biggest issue, the average tvt server is far from realistic and far from what should be considered a simulation. Teamwork is rare and what the combat usually boils down to are small groups of people scattered across gigantic maps fighting for a huge amount of objectives. The scale of the maps, and lack of a focused obj turns into small 1v1, or 3v3 type firefights. There's no sense of a battleline and fighting tooth and nail to advance inch and inch and capturing key territory. Key territory being adj ground and not necessarily the primary obj itself. ArmA 3 desperately needs a core tvt mode made and extensively tested by the developers. A mode where you won't see people randomly jumping into helicopters only to crash them and respawn and jump in another a few seconds later. A mode that's not about gaining money, which isn't realistic either. Ultimately, a mode where the firefights are intense and of a much larger scale. None of this is to knock the current modes, but the game truly needs something that satisfies the crave for sim based combat for tvt oriented players instead of just coop.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on the current alpha, from a MP perspective.