Sign in to follow this  
Hartmann

Wondering about server specifications

Hi, our group wants to get a server for Arma 3 and we want to get our own dedicated server box so we have full control over it.

What sort of specifications would be required for smoothly operating a high player count server, running Warfare type missions when those become available?

Would something like this be capable of handling it for instance? Or would that be way out of its league.

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex5

Also, can you guys recommend some reputable server box providers in the EU?

We're running the equivalent of what they call an EX6. i7-920's are getting pretty old now =P

It should still work fine for a server box though. No idea on hosts in EU though, sorry!

Yeah you're right, probably should up that one a bit. From what I can find though, it seems like these guys rates are pretty decent.

I've been using Hetzner for almost two years now, incredibly reliable and good information on systems downtime/faults.

http://www.hetzner-status.de/en.html

Using an EX6 from them as well, absolutely fantastic for A2 server hosting, you can host quite a few of them on the one server though.

It is also just about the only place in europe where you can get such hardware that cheap, along with the 10 TB's of bandwidth!

We have been running the alpha on a a BladeVPS X8 from transip.eu. Its done a decent job especially in maintaining very steady performance. The CPU's are only 2.0Ghz and i7 gen 2 hardware so we get 26 slots stable with server fps 20-40 fps. We can get a game up to 35 players but server fps often drops below 20 which retards AI.

One oddity that we are seeing is exactly 2 cores worth of usage. There is no apparent additional CPU usage past 2 cores which does make me wonder what the ideal hardware is for an Arma 3 server. I would like to hear from some guys hosting on higher speed boxes before we purchase an IB 3570 about the impact of a 6 core machine if you have one? Do you get better than 33% (16.6% with HT on) CPU usage or are you also pegged on 2 cores?