Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

PIP with variable zoom

PIP has been shown to have great frame refreshing in the alpha but there is at least one major thing missing and that is the ability to zoom. PIP gives us the chance to further simulate vehicles with digital displays, aircraft, helicopter, armor and more. And I know that it is alpha BUT alpha is also a great time for suggestions on improvement, not just bug hunting. In this case RTT works great but is only at half of its potential.

Imaging a mission wherein you are piloting an aircraft for aerial reconnaissance, you can see the area below you via PIP BUT you cannot see clearly beyond X point without getting very close at all versus being able to zoom in the screen to see with more clarity as to what you are hitting and wether or not it is friendly. Or perhaps a 'base defense' mission wherein one person can opt to watch a camera to detect intruders, or a UAV mission wherein you are able to zoom the camera in and out without ever having to leave the view of your character looking at the keyboard, now THAT would be immersive.

This could potentially crush two birds with one stone, think about it. If you add variable zoom levels then you would be able to lock guns, missiles, whatever in that manner and not have to rely on tab lock, you could can the command, give modern vehicles more simulation and game style, a unique trait of the game in that it simulates even more things deeper without going too far add some serious immersion by not having to be forced to press 0 so that you can zoom, and differentiate the "haves" and "have nots" IE analogue aircraft vs digital with that extra sense of situational awareness.

I'd like to hear what others think of this however, do you think PIP could be more useful, how, what gameplay elements could it add? We all see things differently so more diverse suggestions are welcome.

TLDR; PIP is a great feature but it is only partial realized. With a zoom capability it could become a full gameplay element and increase immersion, and authenticity, all in one fell swoop.

Edited by NodUnit

during the vehicle mission while launching grenades my display was horrible i had to switch to my driver seat just to make sure i was looking at the right target (other vehicles). my PIP was so bad everything was pretty much black with a hint of grey and white bodies from the other soldiers. i havent tried the flying mission just yet but the driving mission's PIP display while shooting needs an adjustment.

Unfortunately that is more due to thermal maps themselves, the only way to really fix that is to give everything a thermal image so that it all gives off heat. That may happen though, TI textures are definately not finished considering the whole of the Ifrit is hot.

Hard to see in the alpha as previously said, variable zoom could help, and also 2 different sights. The current one where you can still see the "world" around you and a view with the PiP screen in fullscreen mode (not able to use free view to look around you so).

We could have that in ArmA II (like the chopper gunner view with the missile/minigun view), so i guess it is/should be planned for ArmA III retail ?

The PIP does need work honestly. That's my 2 cents. And what about the tank like APC with the turret on top with an extremely blurry thermal screen? Any way to combat that without shooting 3rd person?

The PIP does need work honestly. That's my 2 cents. And what about the tank like APC with the turret on top with an extremely blurry thermal screen? Any way to combat that without shooting 3rd person?

thats what i was talking about. the thermal screen was bad but i completed it... some how