Sign in to follow this  
barret

New ships?

Most people care about tanks and helos but what about the ships? Have the been able to make those amphibous tanks, or even the hover craft that come from american lhd's and lha's? and I don't think Lst's have large (looks like) 5" guns, but they do have the phanlax anti missile guns.

Ships have been talked about alot before....

Like large planes... There sint enough room.... And a Helo can do land attack better than a Ship could in OFP.

The only REAL use for a ship in OFP would be to have Helo's land and refuel on perhaps... And carry troops from the ship to the land.

Don't forget this senario is taking place on an island. I don't think there are to many locations out of the reach of a 5" .50 gun. Would be a nice option to call in a strike from the boy's off shore :-)

But having ships could would make cool maps. Like lets say when red hammer comes out your mission (as a russian) could be to take a hind troop and attack some sort of American ship that is intercepting radio transmits from the russians. That would be a very fun and challenging mission.

I wish they had another version of the PBR and the little Russian boat, maybe armed with rockets or a auto-grenade launcher.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from BlindDeath on 4:58 am on Nov. 16, 2001

having ships would be just useless! i mean how would u get into them?!??!?!

<span id='postcolor'>

He has a very good point there.

I wouldn't mind a couple of new ships/boats in opf myself.

'This scenario'

I really wish people (idiots!!!) would stop keeping OPF locked in a small cage...Islands bah!!! there are no limits...those who place small minded restrictions on this game deserve no attention!

Total freedom - outside the official campaign, of course - is the objective.

It would at least be nice to have some more props, similar to the LST. A wider range of landing craft would be welcome, too; the boats we have today are quite hampered by their low carrying capacity.

Someone posted the Russian Heavy Landing Ship, 'Ivan Something'

Those heavy tank landers are needed...it makes sense to because it will explain how all those Main Battle Tanks got on the islands.

The word, Dropship, come to mind.

(Edited by fixOPFsoundsplease at 3:47 pm on Nov. 16, 2001)

I also support the idea of other objects than new heli's and vehicles for west/east side.

New small boats would be neat, fastgoing boats to set small 4-6 crew "SEALs" in land would be great.

Even some more civilian stuff would be ok, how about a small 4x4 pickups (dodge, ford etc). In general more "real life alike" objects that doesnt necesserily have to be "war related".

BUT even more important is that we need 2-3 new islands to create missions on. First of all the islands that is there today is getting "old" and "boring" to a certain degree.

With new islands it would be ok to see :

1) A hawai/tropical inspired island with palms and sand banks to take cover behind, maybe some small mountains etc. Not as much high ground as Kolgujev.

2) A "vietnam" inspired landscape with lots of high grass/bushes (fields) to walk over, small huts in smaller villages etc. Some hills etc and some rivers that splits the landscape in a way where we can use small boats to do upstream waterway attacks against few villages etc.

3) a more city alike island with several "bigger cities" with more buildings to enter, whole point would be to use the buildings as cover & tactical defence etc against the enemies. Buildings that on one side of the island was intact, but on the other side of the island was blown to pieces so just leftovers was standing. That would be usable to drive a tank into and conseal in the ruins etc.

4) Also bridges to blow up would be a ok feature that would enhance the game playability alot (i.e. 4 seal got to blow up a important bridge to slow down russian convoy to advance to other side of the island etc)

Anyone else that likes these ideas and would be interesting in setting up a list of email addresses/names of ppl that would like to see this in OPF. In hope of BI understanding that this is stuff we like to see, and as a group we have bit more "pressure" ? smile.gif

Birkoff

why not some civilian boats, like sailboats.

that would be cool. :biggrin:

oh and i like your idee about the 2-3 island on one map also a verry verry nice idee.

(Edited by Casto at 7:51 pm on Nov. 16, 2001)

You could have an oil tanker that got captured by the ruskies kus they need oil for their tanks or somethin... & then u could send in the SBS or the SEALS to get aboard the tanker.. You dont have to drive the tanker or anything so u dont have to get in it like a car.. It could be just like a big floating house w/ ladders n sh&t..I guess you could drive it but then how much fun is drving a 10,000 ton oil tanker?

tn_babiesmiddlefinger.jpg

(Edited by ChickenHawk at 9:55 pm on Nov. 16, 2001)

Uhh, SBS is part of NAVSPECOMWAR (MORE INFO AT: )"]HTTP://usnavy.spyw.com) whis the navy seals are also in. one bad thing is to add a lot of civilan vechicals, we don't want so many cars in the game, that there are more cars then tanks in the game! Also adding American, european, and most asian cars would bebad cause these are small russian held islands, do you theink any one in russia (except for the military) has an american made car.

Heavy guns on ships are the best! I now how to use an M60 (TANK) as a artil gun(Only when i control the turret!). I can hit targets that are over hills! Its hard but it works! The AI already uses an artilary like targeting (If the targets to far away to be hit by just pointing the gun in their direction they aim up a little so the shell is fired up nd slowly comes down and hits its target!)

All you need to do is make guns that can hit targets k-meters away and and the computer will do a fine job!

And remember you can move around tanks with the 'move to drivers seat' comand, so moving around a ship will not be hard:

move to front gunners seat

move to rear gunner seat

move to captains seat (StarTrek fans will rejoice!)

move to drivers seat (I don't know the real name!)

Move to cargo/back seats

Move to look outs seat (A highly plased person, on the mast maby! LOL)

If you are good you can land on the list with a cobra, but i think you just fall through the ship if your get out o the Cobra!

Too bad the OFP engine can only handle one gunner :biggrin:

It is simply not true, that new boats are not needed. Naval warfare would be amazing, especially with patrol boats and landing crafts. If there ever will be a map with some sort of rivers, patrol boats would be one of the funniest thing ever.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Ruskiesrule on 7:53 pm on Nov. 17, 2001

Heavy guns on ships are the best! <snip>...

And remember you can move around tanks with the 'move to drivers seat' comand, so moving around a ship will not be hard:

move to front gunners seat

move to rear gunner seat

move to captains seat (StarTrek fans will rejoice!)

move to drivers seat (I don't know the real name!)

<span id='postcolor'>

Ummm, That would be the Helmsman smile.gif

this topic washere before, but you'Re right, boats would be cool, small gunships with a small cannon or some rockets from AT or AA warfare. And some civilian boats or inflatable boats for infiltration