Sign in to follow this  
JohnLoftyWiseman

How to build on a hill with Visitor

The map I'm making is quite hilly, but the locations I've chosen for the runways are the flatter areas I can find. Aircraft can take off and land fine at them, but the only problem is how on earth to place hangars and other objects on slopes. Could a concrete slab or some other material be placed under it? Is there a way in Visitor to edit the terrain or to slant the object? Editing the height of a hangar simply won't work since I need to be able to get aircraft inside, and lowering only fills it with hill, so I doubt aircraft would be able to go inside then. Is there any way to solve this?

In the place you go to place buildings it says Artificial Objects. Change that title to Terrain Vertices. Left-Click and drag an area. Press Change Height. Where it says Height:, put the height you want the area in. That will change the height. Additionally in buldozer you can mess around with terrain by using the u,i,o,p and j,k,l,; keys. One set of those raises the other lowers. Can't for the life of me remember which is which right now for some reason though. Just make sure you save before editing the terrain. It can sometimes be a pain to get the height back to what it was if you change it and want to revert.

Jakerod is absolutely correct... There are some pretty handy basic ground tweaking tools within Visitor, and in fact, they're often all you need for tidying small areas, or for simple levelling of things like airports and buildings positions...

If you feel the need for some larger-scale landscape-carving or mountain-moving, then the usual procedure is to export your heightmap - do the modelling in some dedicated external tool or other, then re-import...

For general landscape-devastation you need look no further than L3DT Standard... Fully functional up to 2048x2048 heightmaps (all we need) and Free!!

There's an extra-generous free 90 day demo of the Full Pro version available too, but save those 3 months for when you're ready to seriously tackle L3DT's other Big Asset - Sat & Mask autogenerating!

B