Sign in to follow this  
BabaZed

Serious booboo

I bought Resistance the day it came out, and since then i've floated around the forums getting tips and giving tips on preference settings, a LOT of people are complaining about the laggyness and i for 1 have been telling them the usual (drop view distance, texture res, blah blah), i also heard someone complain that "oh well i only really get the prob in the towns", which i had noticed a slight performance decrease but thought the same.

However i didnt think there was a problem, 'cos i've been tweeking during the campaign (excellent by the way), but when i came to take a serious look at the map in order to make a mish, i've found that YES the towns lag TERRIBLY especially at NIGHT, and believe me when i tell ya i've tried EVERYTHING, lowest possible settings in the prefs 1600 geo, 64 resolution (all) default lod, 20 lights, lowest terrain detail, 500 view distance, plus every possible combo in my NVmax tweak utility, yet NOTHING will improve FPS in the Towns at Night, nameley "Lipany" check it out its screwed. And then it takes an eternity to shutdown and when it does my system lags bad for about 60 secs.

The hills n stuff are fine i can run at 2000 view distance 1024 textures etc, its great!

V1.46 flashpoint still works as well as it ever did, so its not my Geforce gone AWOL, and others report the same thing.

Could it be the resolution of the automatic lights is too high, 'cos like i said it's 'noticeable' in the day but at Night its pathetic.

What gives BIS? is there a patch in the making? am i mental?

Its a shame that such a Great upgrade is marred by not being able to use your beautiful towns

o/s Windows 2000 professional

VIA motherboard (latest 4in1 adapters) installed

pIII gig

256 ram

geforce2 3d prophet gts 32mb

Soundblasterlive 5.1

Troubleshooting smile.gif

i wish some1 would shoot my troubles, i'm all outta ammo

Definitely something wrong there, I'd suggest you send a report to Bis, you prolly will never hear back but they'll read it and figure out what the problem is hopefully smile.gif

Have you loaded default settings in the advanced section for your graphic card ?

Have you tried any other drivers ?

You know whats wierd, first off, i have a P2 450 sad.gif....yea, i know.....but anyways. OFP runs fine for hte most part. Occaisonally i get a little bit of lag in cities. I have terrain detail on low, and textures normal. And like i said, for the most part, the game is flawless. The other islands run smooth as ever, as does Nogova. Only on thing seriously lags my comp, whenever i get near the main bridge, not the one in the north, it lags the hell out of my comp. Its only when i look at it too. If i am in the same place looking away from the bridge, it will run fine, but once i turn around and look at the bridge, it lags the living hell outta my sh*t. I have no idea wtf cause this. Anyone have an idea?

I'm starting to wonder how these new 'objects' have been composed, are they polyoganol/nurb/subdivided or what, i would take it that they're polyoganol, and if so have certain/all faces too many subdivisions?(in order to give the user the possibility of crisper textures at higher resolutions)

I'm pretty sure that all the new objects are simple triangulated polys. I highly doubt that they would of used any NURBS/Subdivided polys. With the new engine,i imaging it MAY be possible to use such things, but to actually do it on such a big island, with so many new and old objects, it would stress even the fastest PCs a little. So, i don't think that could be the answer. confused.gif

The reason you have that problem is simply the design of the maps. Nogova has some towns that have quite a few detailed buildings in them, something the original maps did not (they were limited to small towns or villages with a few buildings, nothing more). You are getting bad lag simply because the engine has problems handling large numbers of buildings at once onscreen, and it's worse at night because then the engine is also trying to add lighting effects to all that as well.

I have an Athlon T-bird 1.2 Ghz, 512 MB RAM and a GeForce 4 Ti4400 and I have the same problem, thought not to the same degree. I don't think there's much that can be done. Any environment that is that detailed in any game would bring most computers to a crawl.

And you really, really need to get a new video card. 32MB video cards are at the very end of their life cycle in the current gaming market. I just switched from my previous card, a GeForce 2 GTS 64MB, which performed admirably, and now the game runs butter-smooth in all areas except for large towns, where it still dips quite a bit. I guess it just can't be helped.