Sign in to follow this  
anguis

Windows 8 advice?

Hi, folks,

I'm about to go down the Windows 8 rabbit hole. Do any of you have experience running OFP/CWA on it? Any advice for getting things running? Smooth sailing?

Thanks for any tips!

Anguis

Edit: Well, it looks like I'll go ahead and post up my experience, if it turns out to be instructive. So far, Metro's not a problem.

More, later!

Edited by Anguis

Ok, I've got Windows 8 installed. This is an old system, but it's played A2 well enough for me, certainly OFP. The video card uses the Radeon Legacy Driver 10.2. Installing CCC turned out to be a no-go. Installing the driver ended up being a manual affair (extract and browse).

I will say, W8 is 'snappier' than Vista.

Potential problem: I can't adjust the vid. driver with no CCC, so, it'll be interesting to see how things go. I never really messed with it before, other than to turn off AA and adjust things up to "Quality." As it is, another game that I play that has a max resolution of 1024x768 won't go full-screen like it did with Vista. . .

If OFP runs unacceptably, back to Vista!

edit: Alright, OFP does work (fullscreen 1600x1200), so far as I've been able to test. Without some of the Catalyst tweaks, the visuals aren't as nice as before, but I'll have to see how much of a distraction that turns out to be. Everything moves smoothly, no lag. Looking good, so far. I'll update, if I run into anything interesting.

I was able to get on my server - looks like there's nothing new to deal with on the network front. Managed to get on Overlord's, too.

Edited by Anguis