Sign in to follow this  
dwringer

Problem with imported heightmap aspect ration

Sorry, after a somewhat more advanced search I found the answer to my problem. Downloaded Wilbur, opened heightmap and resaved it, works perfectly now. This post can be deleted.

EDIT: Whoops! "ratio", not "ration" :p

Hello all.

I have been playing around with creating terrains, and actually was successful last night in following along with the tutorial, and then I made a small map of my own using DEM/satellite images I downloaded from the USGS. This part was actually successful... I exported the heightmap as a grayscale .tif, opened that in the gimp, cropped it, fixed levels, and input the low/high/cell size info into my terrain.pbl file. This imported into visitor, everything was fine.

Today I attempted to do the same thing. Now I'm running into the same problem I remember having months ago, and I never found a solution. When I import my heightmap grayscale .png into visitor, it fills half the area of the map and is compressed horizontally. here's a picture:

visitor.jpg

And here's the config:

class cfg
{
PNGfilename="terrain.png";
squareSize=8;
originX=0;
originY=0;
minHeight=-26.0;
maxHeight=191.0;
};

The png opens fine in every other program I have, and shows the dimensions as 512x512, which they are.

Is there something really obvious that I'm missing? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding some of the parameters I've chosen? I really don't know where to begin. I've been troubleshooting for 3 hours and gotten nowhere, which is frustrating since I got it to work last night with a smaller set of data.

Any help is extraordinarily appreciated!

Edited by dwringer
hid post in spoiler tags

Put your Terrain Cell Size up to 2.

Your Heightmap have 512x512 and your Satmask have 1024x1024?

Then you have to put the Square Size to 2 because your satmask is double size of your heightmap.

It will be an size ingame of 10x10km I think?

Here is an example:

512x512 Heightmap and a 5120x5120 Satmask = ~5x5km

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n611/Wiz15/vb3cell-1.jpg (159 kB)

Squaresize = 10

class cfg
{
PNGfilename="fayrab.png";
squareSize=10;
originX=0;
originY=0;
minHeight=0;
maxHeight=205;
};

Edit: Dont see that this got solved, reading is a opportunity ^^

Edited by Donny