Sign in to follow this  
Boulderdash

Does Carrier Command retail contain a Steam key?

Well, the topic says it all. Do the retail copies of Carrier Command ship with a key for Steam activation or not? Unfortunatly Google doesn't say much about this, and neither does this forum. If anyone can be kind enough to clarify just what the retail box contains, I'll be one happy camper! :)

No, retail edition does not include a steam key, it instead asks for the key on back of instruction manual during normal installation.

No, retail edition does not include a steam key, it instead asks for the key on back of instruction manual during normal installation.

Sigh. That means no Carrier Command for me :-(.

Oh well, thanks for the reply Gamerbase.

Uh... why would the lack of steam completely stop you from playing? That makes no sense at all to me.

I'm more the other way around to Boulderdash. I don't want my games needing to be activated online or require some kind of account. I'm playing with toys, not banking. I want my games to work for as long as I have them, not until the publishers decide to stop supporting the DRM servers, go bankrupt or some other unforeseen circumstance.

After buying Op Flashpoint and a whole load of Arma titles since then, I'd hoped BI had continued to avoid the games industry's tendency to include horrible DRM with everything. The retail box for Carrier Command: Gaea Mission certainly doesn't mention anything about activation being required, and yet here I am with my part-time Internet connection, fiddling with a 3G hotspot because a CD key and £29.99 apparently isn't good enough.

Or maybe I'll just send the thing back and then have to disagree with the shop's "we don't return PC games" policy. This is going to be fun.

Edit: Never mind, I found a solution, but it would be against the forum rules for me to tell you exactly what the solution is. Needless to say I'm honest enough to not return the game now I have it working, but the lack of clarification about Internet connectivity being required for a single player game on the back of the box is a very low tactic. Thankfully for BI Studios' bottom line, I'm more honest than the box designers.

Edited by Technicalfool