Sign in to follow this  
BS87

Mouse wheel

OK, here's my problem. Back when i first installed OFP, i had the same mouse i do as now, a Logitech Cordless mouse. THe only difference is, i had less ram, a crappier Gfx card, and Windows ME. When i used the actual wheel, it scrolled through the options in the action menu. ANd, when i pressed the button down(the actual button), it preformed the highlighted action.Now, i installed it on my new machine, With Windows XP, And the same mouse. At first, neither of those fetures worked. I Downloaded the latest Mouse Man drivers. I went to where you can assign the different options to the buttons. I fiddle around with most of the scrolling options, and still nothing worked. I changed it to "Middle Button", And the description said "default use of Middle Button". Now, when i press the actual button, it preforms the actions like it used to. But, i still cant get the wheel to move through the options. Now, in TheAvonLady's Faq ( never knew it was still around, was a great resource in the pre 1.20 days), it says that some mouse man drivers wouldn't work before 1.20, but they *should* be fixed in 1.20 and after. Now, i'm wondering How i can get both the options to work, like it used to.

Thx guys, if you need my specs i'll just post them

If you use the Windows XP mouse drivers instead of the Logitech Mouseware drivers, the mouse wheel should work. If the wheel doesn't work, check in the Mouse applet in the Control Panel, there should be a checkbox that says something like "Always assume mouse wheel is present".

In mouseware go to the buttons tab have scroll size set to 3 lines (maybe this doesn't matter) and don't check the 'ms office only' box.

Then go to the middle button (2 on the list) I have mine set to autoscroll. Highlight this and then click 'modify' I have then ticked the 'ms compatible only' for the autoscroll menu.

These settings work for me.

Although I then lost scrolling in Iexplorer. I changed them to something else and then changed them back to the original settings and it worked again! Logi drivers suck imho - I'm getting an MS mouse next. It may be a wait this logi has a 10 year warranty smile.gif

The Logitech mice are actually price nice, I have two of them. It's just that their drivers and included BloatWare are pathetic. If Microsoft can write a driver that works in Internet Explorer, Office applications, and games, why can't Logitech do that?

I once had a problem with one of their USB mice -- it worked fine under Windows XP, but the mouse moved erratically under Windows 2000. Same hardware, just booted into a different partition. I described the system configuration to the tech, and as soon as I mentioned that the mouse was plugged into a powered USB hub, their cooperation came to an end.

The Logitech support technician simply said that they do not support mice that aren't plugged directly into the USB port on the motherboard. Well, I'm sorry, but my system only has two of them: one feeds the hub, and the other is connected to a Belkin UPS, and I don't want to go through a device that requires AC power to talk to the UPS during a blackout -- that defeats the whole purpose.

Switching to the Microsoft drivers solved that problem as well.

Aha, now this is where the problem begins. I tried what Arak said, and it didn't work. SO, i fearlessly head into battle, to install the XP drivers..... And i wait for about 20 minutes untill i realise that it's not going ot move from "creating system restore blah blah blah"

So, i'm stuck using mouseman untill i can get these drivers installed

Bahh i still cant get this darned thing to work.