Sign in to follow this  
Cyberuben

Server not working

I have a VPS ordered with NFOServers.com, and I am trying to host a ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead server on that machine.

It has the following specs:

Four core: Perfect for 4-12 game servers or many sites.  
Four full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
4096 MB of RAM
400 GB of RAID-protected storage
4000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

I have no problems so far running anything, but the ARMA 2 server doesn't seem to want to run.

I first tried to transfer a -illegal- downloaded copy of the Anniversary edition to use that setup.exe to install the game. That version was found to have a virus in it, so I couldn't use that. My 2nd way of trying to get the files to the server, is uploading the full 16 GB of my Steam installation of ARMA 2 and ARMA 2 Operation Arrhowhead. After trying this, I had the arma2oaserver.exe, but clicking on it didn't do anything. Then, using the TA2DST (ARMA 2 DEDICATED SERVER TOOL) didn't solve the problem either. I followed these tutorials: Tutorial 1 Tutorial 2. Neither of those worked.

After trying this, and it showing not to work, I installed Steam on my VPS. I logged into the account where I purchased ARMA 2 and ARMA 2 Operation Arrow head on, then downloaded them using Steam. After I finished downloading, I still tried to use the arma2oaserver.exe, but this refused to work again.

I tried to contact NFOServers.com, they told me to post here and keep them up to date.

The server is running Windows Server 2008 x64 and has no modifications.

Any help would be appriciated.

Hi, I used to have a few servers with NFO, and set them up, and admined them for a couple of years without issues,

but My buddy and I had a Gameserver,

I have a VPS ordered with NFOServers.com

can you tell me what a VPS is? never heard of that term, or name.

Also for a gameserver I made this tutorial earlier this year:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134987-Server-Tutorial&p=2162502&viewfull=1#post2162502

the pics on that page dont work, need to fix the links on them sometime.

This is what i dont get about NFO they have great support, prices are decent and they know their servers, but when it comes to game related issues their idiots,

they know little about the games they have for their gameservers, VPS I have no idea what it is, as I only had a gameserver.

Just my suggestion if you wanted a regular gameserver for Arma2CO then Just order that and I can show you how to set it up, i had helped another do that before and

it runs np.

IDK what a VPS, or what the point of it is, but if all your doing is runnign a game to host for your own play or public then really all you need is just a gameserver,

the server is pretty decent, of course you still have to configure the cfg's but thats about it really.

Hi, I used to have a few servers with NFO, and set them up, and admined them for a couple of years without issues,

but My buddy and I had a Gameserver,

can you tell me what a VPS is? never heard of that term, or name.

Also for a gameserver I made this tutorial earlier this year:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134987-Server-Tutorial&p=2162502&viewfull=1#post2162502

the pics on that page dont work, need to fix the links on them sometime.

This is what i dont get about NFO they have great support, prices are decent and they know their servers, but when it comes to game related issues their idiots,

they know little about the games they have for their gameservers, VPS I have no idea what it is, as I only had a gameserver.

Just my suggestion if you wanted a regular gameserver for Arma2CO then Just order that and I can show you how to set it up, i had helped another do that before and

it runs np.

IDK what a VPS, or what the point of it is, but if all your doing is runnign a game to host for your own play or public then really all you need is just a gameserver,

the server is pretty decent, of course you still have to configure the cfg's but thats about it really.

VPS aka VDS is a Virtual Private Server / Virtual Dedicated Server.

It's a machine with Windows Server 2008 x64, I have full access on it and I run multiple gameservers on it, mostly using Source Dedicated Server (Valve games).

The problem is that I transfered all the files just like they are on my PC, or even installed them on the server itself, but it just won't boot the .exe, no error, nothing. So maybe I need like a Microsoft thing such as .NET Framework, which I have installed already.

I'd like help someone who has experienced the same problem, because it's really strange what is happening here. I can run each .exe file, just not this one.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

After seaching "VPS" in Google, this was the first hit, right after the adverts. So I doubt you don't know what it is, it's not like it's a secret or non-used way of indicating that it is a unmanaged (mostly) remote desktop server.

Edited by Cyberuben

With NFO you could just have a private game server which is locked all the time, for just you and some friends, thats what I did never had any issues.

Just my suggestion is get a private gameserver put a pw on it, and then load any files (not game files as NFo does that) mods, islands, ect,. and run it there.

If NFO cant help you with a VDS then I suggest finding another host, to me a host should be able to tell you what you need to do, and look at your files, ect,.

but NFO only goes so far because they dont know.

I tried to contact NFOServers.com, they told me to post here and keep them up to date.

Good reason like I said above.

Dont get me wrong, NFO is good, their servers are fine, but with stuff like this, the BS they need to know, and handle is left in your hands.

With NFO you could just have a private game server which is locked all the time, for just you and some friends, thats what I did never had any issues.

Just my suggestion is get a private gameserver put a pw on it, and then load any files (not game files as NFo does that) mods, islands, ect,. and run it there.

If NFO cant help you with a VDS then I suggest finding another host, to me a host should be able to tell you what you need to do, and look at your files, ect,.

but NFO only goes so far because they dont know.

Good reason like I said above.

Dont get me wrong, NFO is good, their servers are fine, but with stuff like this, the BS they need to know, and handle is left in your hands.

The reason for having a VPS / VDS is that you pay $80 for a pretty decent server that can handle 6-12 gameservers, while if I get a ARMA 2 server, it's already $40 for just one server. Right now I host 5 servers for different games and it's still $80, saves me about $120 with the amount of slots I have.

So getting a private server isn't an option. I want a public server with 64 slots running on my Windows 2008 server, and I'm sure it's possible.

We have a dedicated server, not a VPS but have you tried running the game its self so that Steam completes the install? On our box we get a graphical error once the game tries to launch up but Steam has finished its installs correctly.

Make sure you run Arma2 and Arma 2 OA on their own then run the Arma2OA as combined ops through Steam. Do not install BAF or PMC on the server as it is included in Arma2 OA.

If you then have problems getting the server to run combined ops using TADST copy the contents of the Arma2 folder into Arma2 OA.

Hope this helps.

I don't have Combined Ops, just the games separate. I just want to run Domination (no idea what the full name is). But the server.exe thing doesn't even start up, it doesn't even show up in the taskmanager as a process nor service.

Edited by Cyberuben