Sign in to follow this  
MadMonk

Problems with vehicle class action menus when item placed in a house

I've built an addon than I have classified as a vehicle so I can add and remove Item actions on the fly in script. The problem I'm having is that if the addon is dropped in a house, Its practcally impossible to access the action menu. Ive noticed that if I drop the item in the doorway of a house and crouch, so that I can see the top of the item and the background is not the house, the action menu appears correctly. Is anyone aware of a workaround for this as its the last problem Ive got with what I'm trying to build.

Just bumping this incase. Have been doing more tests on this, the problem seems to be more noticable in different types of buildings. There is a corregated building near the

barracs at the NW airfield that is much worse. Placing an addon unit here that has action menus assigned does not work at if all of the unit is in the building. If part of the unit

is in a doorway, placing the in game cursor over that area of the unit will display the propper addon menu.

I think it's just the way the action menu works, if you can't see it you don't get the actions which makes sense do you really want actions to appear through walls or buildings.

The only option I can think of would be to add a trigger and then have the action appear for the player when within xx meters of the object.

I think it's just the way the action menu works, if you can't see it you don't get the actions which makes sense do you really want actions to appear through walls or buildings.

The only option I can think of would be to add a trigger and then have the action appear for the player when within xx meters of the object.

Thanks for the reply, I didnt think about using triggers. I'll look into that and post back later.

I can see the item that I've placed in the house clearly, basically, its a sensor which is 5 foot tall with a small antenna on top. When placed near an open door where the top half of the sensor is above thre ground level with the outside as the backdrop, the menu appears but if the sensor is placed in the house with the backdrop being a wall, its near impossible to bring up the action menu.

yea I've seen that happen at times as well , Some things that are invisible to us are not invisible to the game engine.

I noticed this the other day when using the line of site commands. I had a unit that could easily see a chopper, I moved across a pond to the other side and LOS reported it couldn't be seen even though I could see and shoot it myself.

Having said that I'm not having any problems detecting ammo boxes in buildings, maybe it's because it's classed as vehicle.

I don't know anything about addons so can't help.

I just checked using a mountain bike and I get no actions when it's inside a house, the problem does seem vehicle related.

I'd check out ammo boxes and see how they have it setup.

Edited by F2k Sel