Sign in to follow this  
ixnay

Support of the sse instruction set?

In one of the early demos of OFP, the preferences displayed the ability of OFP to use the Pentium-III's SSE instruction set.

I believe that the -piii command line parameter in the current build of OFP also forces the SSE instruction set although I have no way of proving this, as I can't seem to see a performance difference anywhere.

My question is this:

Does OFP autodetect the PIII or PIV chip and thus use the SSE instruction set by default?

If so, does OFP autodetect an Athlon XP chip and it's inherent SSE support?

I'd love for a developer to chime in on this as it may or may not adversely affect performance. For some folks...a little performance boost goes a long way.

My apologies if this topic has long since been covered, but a search did not seem to reveal that this is old news.

Thanks in advance for any info.

.:iXnay

The only time you'd see a performance differences is if the detection of SSE instructions failed, and you forced the use of SSE using the command-line switch.

Since there appears to be no way to do the opposite and turn them off, we don't really know.

As far as how much of a performance increase (if any) SSE yields in OFP, I have no idea. Suma?