Sign in to follow this  
gossamersolid

Best method to creating retextures

Hey guys,

what is the best method you use to create retextures for units?

Right now I use the original texture from the unit and do colour selections as a vector mask in photoshop, but I feel like it removes too much detail.

I know there's probably a way you can use the NOHQ texture as a template, just not sure how.

Well, like I explained a while ago on Skype, the smdi map will have surface information, including scratches and crap but no colour information. What you can do is block in the colours you want to change to on a new layer, then take the green channel of the smdi map and convert it to colour information, and put it in a layer above your co map, and set it to overlay, then play with the values. You can also use the blue channel of a normal map and set it to multiply to bring out some of the crevices on the surface. You can then crtl+click your new colour map and use that as a layer mask for your new detail layers, or use a clipping mask between the detail layers and the colour layer. Then you can play with different blending modes / opacities for your layers.

I believe at the time I told you that on Skype you said tldr; f-off. LOL.

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Here's an example of what you can do in like ten mins / half an hour:

lavbody_pink_co.jpg

Lord Kitty is the copyright of her respective slaves.

The LAV texture is by BI Studios.

Obviously it needs work but it would probably look not too bad in game.

BI Permitting I can send the PSD out for people to look at.

Edited by Max Power

I didn't say TL;DR GTFO, I said I couldn't get it to work, then I was home with my laptop that didn't have photoshop.

If you'll be willing to step by step with me then I'll know how to do it.