Sign in to follow this  
-Coulum-

Mouse Acceleration in ArmA 3

Where'd you hear of a cone of fire?
About shooting on medium and high distances - thats where new weapon sway mechanics should come to play. Principle is the same as in Arma2 - to simulate shaky hands, however in A3 it is smoother, reflected only by size of the corsshair, and has crapload of additional parameters. The tricky part is setting them up to produce most realistic result, which is a lenghty task. In short - mechanics for controlling precision are there, they only need to be tuned-up properly.

"Penalty" for quick aiming (increasing sway/dispersion during fast mouse move) is pretty common and well-proven feature in fps games, so good point - I'll see if we can do something about that. (no promises though!!!!!!! :p )

Sounds to me like weapon shake is simulated by an expanding cone of fire rather than bullets going where the gun is actually pointing, but I could be misreading it.

I don't think there should be a cone of fire ever, even when hip firing, aside from the general inaccuracies of the weapons.

Edited by roshnak

Sounds to me like weapon shake is simulated by an expanding cone of fire rather than bullets going where the gun is actually pointing, but I could be misreading it.

I don't think there should be a cone of fire ever, even when hip firing, aside from the general inaccuracies of the weapons.

Ah I see how you can think that dispersion/cone of fire could be in game now. But I think what Vespa was saying is that the size of the crosshairs shows how much sway there is. Ie. If the crosshairs are 2 cm apart that means your weapon is swaying anywhere within those 2 cm. I don't think that the size of the crosshairs represents the amount of random dispersion your shots will have. The bullets will go in the exact direction the gun points, but the direction isn't always in the centre of the screen. The crosshairs represent the area where the gun could be pointed. That's what I assumed at least. But really whether its random dispersion or just sway, in the end, what difference does it make when not using the sights?

Well, it's the difference between ARMA and say, Counter-Strike, really. Not the CS is a bad game; I like it. But in ARMA, the bullets come from the barrel of your gun and follow a realistic trajectory. Where the gun is pointing gives a rough indicator of a shot's impact point. In CS, the bullets come from the center of your screen and where your gun is pointing has no bearing on the direction of the bullets, with the expanding crosshair (and memorizing impact patterns) being the only indicator of hit location. CS feels like playing as a walking bullet hose. ARMA feels like playing as someone holding a gun.

I assume that the goal of ARMA is to make you feel like you are inhabiting the world that you are playing in, and authenticity of weapon behavior is a large part of achieving that effect.

Edited by roshnak