Sign in to follow this  
eLectryx

Map Grids

Hello:

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered somewhere, I have looked around and not been able to figure it out. Given this:

class Grid: Grid
 {
  offsetX = 10240;
  offsetY = 10240;
  class Zoom1
  {
   zoomMax = 0.15;
   format = "XY";
   formatX = "000";
   formatY = "000";
   stepX = 100;
   stepY = -100;
  };
  class Zoom2
  {
   zoomMax = 0.85;
   format = "XY";
   formatX = "00";
   formatY = "00";
   stepX = 1000;
   stepY = -1000;
  };
  class Zoom3
  {
   zoomMax = 1e+030;
   format = "XY";
   formatX = "0";
   formatY = "0";
   stepX = 10000;
   stepY = -10000;
  };
 };

My questions are as follows:

1. Is the zoom level relative to the map size?

2. Is the offset above indicative of the map size in px or is that meters?

3. If I wish to allow players to zoom in on the map but only wish grids to show at maximum 00,00 (therefore having to use the ACE protractor to work out the 6 or 8 digit grids) how do I modify this accordingly?

Thanks,

-e

It is relative to the map size, I am not sure what the exact calculation is, but it will require a little bit of experimentation.

The offset is in meters, and your x offset should be 0 and the y offset should be the map height for the bottom left grid square to be the 0000 grid.

To only show four digit grids, simply make anything higher than the formatX/Y = "00" have a zoomMax of a really small number, say 0.000001. The in game map can not zoom in that far and it will never show those zoom levels.

Also for the sake of some systems in ACE, CBA and other mods, its often nice to add an additional zoom level that will show 10 digit grids (formatX/Y = "00000", as then the mapGridPosition will return very accurate grids, which is good for things like the the DAGR or other systems that have that fidelity. You can also set this to a non-visible zoom level.

I am glad to see a map maker who wants to only show 4 digit grid squares like those on a 1:50,000 scale map! Good luck!

Edited by NouberNou
woops, offsetY should be the POSITIVE map height, so if your map is 10240x10240 then offsetY is 10240!

Thanks Nou. You know us artillery types, a little anal about maps and grid references ;)