Sign in to follow this  
Qubit

Making the AI more organic help

I was wondering if any of you talented editors and such would be willing to help me with making the units in my missions seem more alive. My main problem is when I create, for example, a defensive line, the most I'm able to do is throw down a bunch of infantry that just stand idle. Can anyone tell me of some scripts or commands I can use to spices up the behavior of the Ai? Keep in mind that I still want them to be able to react when fired upon.

Tell them to approach the defensive line in combat mode. It should make them adhere to cover more and wait prone.

If you want them to be proactive and seek out any enemy they spot (or hear), give them a Guard waypoint.

How do I make the defenders seem more lifelike? I want soldiers standing guard or on the defense to maybe pace around or sit down, make them seem less like paper cutouts and more like people

Probably the easiest way to achieve such effect is to use "Dismissed" waypoint type, however radius of loitering is unlimited here, so theoretically units may to go far away with time. So perhaps some custom script, that will to allocate for each group/unit random waypoints, always in given radius from initial position plus some randomized animations from time to time may be better solution. Problematic with such animations may prove to make unit to break such animation immediately (some of them are long), when fight is started. Conditional usage of switchMove or switchAction with empty animation/move/action name may help with this problem. Maybe tommorow I will try to play with such script, effect may prove interesting, but only if I will find some free time.

Oh I didn't know about the dismissed way point, thanks that's a huge help. I try to look for some scripts myself, but I mainly wanted something that allowed the men to move around for a few minutes before combat