Sign in to follow this  
RedLion

.50 cal movement

I played close combat for sometime and one of the features I enjoyed was the ability of having a hvy mg team like the .50 cal move around the map. Now, I know we have m60's, pk's and the likes but I just hate that my .50 cal is a stationary weapon (Excetp for the vehicles of course). If a .50cal comes under fire, I wish I had the ability to move him around and away from the hail of bullets coming in his direction. It seems kind of unreal to a degree. (I know its a game) Is it possible to change this? Is it possible to creat a Hvy MG Team?

Thanks smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedLion @ June 13 2002,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I played close combat for sometime and one of the features I enjoyed was the ability of having a hvy mg team like the .50 cal move around the map.  Now, I know we have m60's, pk's and the likes but I just hate that my .50 cal is a stationary weapon (Excetp for the vehicles of course).  If a .50cal comes under fire, I wish I had the ability to move him around and away from the hail of bullets coming in his direction. It seems kind of unreal to a degree. (I know its a game) Is it possible to change this? Is it possible to creat a Hvy MG Team?

Thanks  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think it's possible. The M2 can be carried in two ways, disassembled with 3 or 4 members carrying splitting up the receiver, barrels (including spares), tripod, and ammo or it can be moved with a 3 man carry with 3 men holding an arm of the tripod. I don't think there is any way to get a realistic looking 3 man carry of the M2 and creating a command for people to drop and pickup the weapon. Plus if one team member gets shot (as often happens in OFP) there is no way to carry the weapon. As for disassembling it and reassembling it, to my knowledge there is no way to split up an object in OFP. That would take some VERY VERY hardcore script writing and probably only possible with technical support from BIS. At any rate, in real life the medium machine guns like the PK and M60 cover a very long range which is why these days, the M2 is seldom moved on foot over long distances. Even in WWII I believed it was usually transported to the front lines via a jeep or truck. Even split apart it's very difficult to carry when you also have to carry your personal rifle, ammo for both weapons, food, and water in your ruck sack.

But I agree the M2 HMG team is very cool on Close Combat.

Of coarse if you wanted to get really hardcore realistic, maybe BIS could simulate changing the barrel also. Just be glad that you don't have to worry about doing this with the M2 because it also requires measuring the head spacing and timing when changing barrels. Not a fun thing to do when under fire so it's often done before hand and the exact number of "clicks" is written down and memorized in case there is no time to get the measurement. But if the head spacing and timing is incorrect on a new barrel, the weapon can explode on you which isn't nice either. smile.gif One of the many joys of firing heavy caliber, high-velocity weapons! smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I think there should be a way of using a small tripod on the M60 and Pk and make it so when the tripod is mounted on something the gun is really accurate which it currently isn't at long range.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paladin @ June 13 2002,21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think there should be a way of using a small tripod on the M60 and Pk and make it so when the tripod is mounted on something the gun is really accurate which it currently isn't at long range.<span id='postcolor'>

AH! Now THAT is a good idea! That would indeed be realistic. Usually the M60 assistant gunner carries a tripod, although it depends if whether distant engagements are expected. For jungle warfare, it's not generally used. However for terrain like that in Afghanistan then something like that might be effective for long range fire suppression.

But it still would be tough to script. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>