Sign in to follow this  
kot1k

Small private ARMA2:CO dedicated server's minimal requirements

Need advice from those who've experienced running Arma2 CO dedicated server on rented gear. Lets suggest I have to rent a server where only ARMA2 server should run. What minimal requirements should it have? Is it possible to host it on VPS, or only real hardware (like VDS) will satisfy its needs? And if it's possible to launch it on VPS, then which config should it, at the very least, have - in terms of GHz of CPU, MB of RAM, kB/s of bandwith and the like?

There never will be more than 10-15 players simultaneously, so I'm really hope, that some 50$/year rig will be enough...Or am I wrong? (Yes, I'm aware that I could run arma2 server for 15ppl on my own PC as well, and this isn't an option)

What mission are you going to run on it as well because missions like Evolution/Domi will need more cpu ghz, also what is your upload/ bandwidth ? Below are some links which you may find helpful.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?127422-Server-Dedicated-Server-(and-Multi-Player)-Documentation

http://www.kellys-heroes.eu/files/tutorials/dedicated/

Haz, thanks for replying, yes, something like Domi/Insurgency/MSO and other sandboxes will be running there. Your links will come in handy, but only after (and if) I can afford a renting. I've found these requirements, specified as recommended, in the article, refferred by these links: "We recommend using 2 GHz machine, with 512 MB RAM and a 1 Mbps upload network bandwidth." Can somebody confirm, that this is really the minimal requirements, and server won't perform well with slower rig?

Haz, thanks for replying, yes, something like Domi/Insurgency/MSO and other sandboxes will be running there. Your links will come in handy, but only after (and if) I can afford a renting. I've found these requirements, specified as recommended, in the article, refferred by these links: "We recommend using 2 GHz machine, with 512 MB RAM and a 1 Mbps upload network bandwidth." Can somebody confirm, that this is really the minimal requirements, and server won't perform well with slower rig?

2 GHz Dual-Core might struggle when 10 - 15 players on Domination but a Quad-Core will def cope. I would recommend Quad-Core Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz with 4 - 8gb ram, 1 Mbps upload is fine.

Edit:

I would suggest Win7 Home Premium/Professional 64bit for the server OS.

Edited by Dirty Haz

Haz, is 4 to 8 GBs and 2-4 cores CPU a must have prerequisites for dedicated server? It won't have to deal with graphics and stuff, I mean. And, btw, if I run it under linux, will it speed up it significantly?

I would def go for the Quad-Core and for the ram you can try 4gb. You can always add more sticks in anyway. I do not know alot about the Linux server OS but I would say yes but not a big difference tho.

One OA DS will use 100% of one core, no matter what your CPU is (I've tested it on an E3-1230), for any complex mission like Warfare or Domination. On an E3-1230, it will also use between 20% and 50% of a second core for other tasks.

If you're running it on a VPS, make sure two cores are exposed to the VPS and also that you're allowed to use that much CPU. An EC2 high-CPU medium instance will run one OA/CO server fine.

I'd definitely recommend running Linux.

Linux is free so its worth a try but if your unhappy with it then you can always buy Win7.