Sign in to follow this  
Xptical

Question About Resolution and FSAA

Hi all,

This may be a bit of a strange question:

I have a 42" LCD TV with 1920*1080x60hz support. It is run via HDMI to my computer.

If I run at full 1080P with AA on, what, exactly is being AAd? Is it doing sub-pixel rendering/smoothing?

I guess what I'm really asking is this:

1. Is it better to run a lower resolution with more AA, or a higher resolution with less AA?

2. If the 3d resolution matches the monitor's native resolution, does AA help at all?

Thanks...

I understand that part. But what I'm asking is that if the sim is rendering using every pixel on the screen, then does FSAA really make things any smoother?

I understand that part. But what I'm asking is that if the sim is rendering using every pixel on the screen, then does FSAA really make things any smoother?

Yes, it is.

If your GPU is able to cope with the load, you can also set your 3D resolution to higher than native resolution to achieve even better results (it is the true supersampling, most precise antialiasing...), standard GPU side antialiasing called MSAA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multisample_anti-aliasing ) can be also used and it is much less GPU hungry but still provides nice improvements, especially for getting rid of jaggies.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

There is on thing in RV3 engine and Take On Helicopters:

you can set rendering resolution independently from the primary native resolution. It is recommended to run with the primary resolution equal to the native resolution of your display device and use the 3D resolution to scale game based on your GPU performance for best results.

To answer your 1st question: I am finding that 'supersampling', or in TOH terms setting the 3D resolution ABOVE (i have mine set at 150% right now) my native resolution of 1920x1200 and having AA off performs better than having AA on and having the 3D resolution at or below my native monitor resolution.

Your second question, i'm not sure about...

This was one of the first tweaks that got TOH running to my satisfaction.