Sign in to follow this  
ROBINO

Problems with Guard waypoints in MP

Hi.

I have a multiplayer mission which I tested last night on a dedicated server and the guard triggers and waypoints for the AI infantry squads don't seem to be working correctly.

I've placed 2 guard triggers (I know which one I placed first because I have labelled them) and about 6 infantry squads in various locations with a single 'guard' waypoint. 2 of the infantry squads are placed pretty much directly on top of the guard triggers.

The problem is - that even in the editor, the AI squads closest to the guard triggers seem to want to wander off for 5 minutes at the start of the mission - but they eventually come back to the gaurd trigger. Also, after starting the mission on the dedicated server last night, I observed that many of the infantry squads completely left the 2 guard triggers and attacked straight towards the players.

It seems the gaurd waypoints and triggers are not working as I had thought they would from this guide:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Waypoint:Guard

does anyone know what's going on?

What combat mode does those groups have? If they spot you in e.g. RED status, they'll engage you, guard WP or not I guess.

If two groups was on same WP, one group take charge of WP, while the other one, as you say, will wander around.

testing it again in the editor now - i have changed the combat mode to 'open fire' instead of 'no change' and there is no difference

i have 2 triggers of type 'guarded by OPFOR' which i have remembered which order i have put them in. The 1st guard trigger has a group which start in it so I would have hoped that they would stay put. However, with a BLUFOR group placed appox 1km away and detected by OPFOR at the start of the mission, ALL groups who are on a guard waypoint seem to zerg straight towards the enemy.

The group which starts at guard trigger 1 seems to hold back a little bit - but eventually they rush off to attack to.

Has ANYONE got guard waypoints and triggers to work properly?

My objective is to get them working in a MP mission.

Try remove detected by from your BLUEFOR unit. Let the AI detect them by themselves.

i'm not using a detected by trigger per se - i just mean when ANY OPFOR units spots BLUFOR

basically every time i observe units on a guard waypoint they attack the nearest enemy (as long as it has been detected) - but i thought that when you place guard triggers they are meant to stay put until the guard trigger is empty - this my assumption

am i wrong in my assumption?

Sort of.

All units on "GUARD" WP will try to protect all "GUARDED BY" triggers, with the first one you placed the most significant, they leave the 4th, 3th and second placed triggers (in that order) to protect the first trigger.

But if they are in combatmode "RED" I guess they'll leave triggers anyway (if they can overcome the enemy).

This works OK for me, but not as "static" as in OFP, they seems to have a bit bigger radius.