Sign in to follow this  
IskuP76_Erkki

Noob question: chambered cartridge and magazines

Hey everyone

I have recently downloaded ArmA2: Free and have been testing the game out in both single and multiplayer. So far I have been impressed in many areas, such as the ballistics(including ricochets and wounding), sound effects (mostly...) among other things.

However, theres one thing that bothers me. I'm not sure if this is only in the ArmA2: Free and if its a bug or what, but upon reloading, the man drops the magazine, picks a new one and loads the gun. Typically, that is 30 shots available. However if I now reload the gun, ie. when 1 round is already chambered, I should have 31 shots available, but in game I only have 30.

I have tested this out by actually counting the shots... Is this working as designed? If yes, does anyone know what is the reasoning behind this? The first thing I was taught about urban warfare was to change mags BEFORE I'm out of ammo to not need to reload and to get 1 extra shot, as well as being able to shoot that 1 round during mag change, if needed. That unfortunately doesnt seem to be possible in ArmA2.

It's just not implemented in the game.

Really? Pity and a shame, I'm possibly presuming things too much but it cant be that difficult to fix, one could almost think it would be among the first things to look at before any add-ons etc... Especially as many games already have it. Shooting the chambered round while changing mags I havent seen in any game yet.

Shooting the chambered round while changing mags I havent seen in any game yet.

There's a reason for that I bet and I'm pretty sure it's not a technical limitation.

Really? Pity and a shame, I'm possibly presuming things too much but it cant be that difficult to fix, one could almost think it would be among the first things to look at before any add-ons etc... Especially as many games already have it. Shooting the chambered round while changing mags I havent seen in any game yet.

The only game I think I have seen it was in Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, because I would constantly do tactical reloads. Other than that, of the games I have played I haven't seen it.

I have seen a game where you can fire the chambered round during a reload and it did the N+1 rounds. I think it was a Ghost Recon or something. America's Army, Rainbow 6s. It's not all that uncommon for games that take technical accuracy seriously.

ArmA would need to start considering the chamber as a place where rounds can be stored and then the magazine as how one fills the chamber. AT-4s and such could start to be handled correctly.

I have seen a game where you can fire the chambered round during a reload and it did the N+1 rounds. I think it was a Ghost Recon or something. America's Army, Rainbow 6s. It's not all that uncommon for games that take technical accuracy seriously.

ArmA would need to start considering the chamber as a place where rounds can be stored and then the magazine as how one fills the chamber. AT-4s and such could start to be handled correctly.

Some of the Reinbow 6s? I'll take your word for that. America's Army would be OK but it fails with the ballistics(doesnt even try really) and the missions are IMHO too Counter Strike-ish with little tactical freedom. Also no sandbox map or an editor...