Sign in to follow this  
mad rabbit

Inheriting ArmA2 dubbing.pbo radio sound for use in mission.pbo description.ext

I wish to use ArmA2 .wss sounds from the ArmA2 dubbing.pbo in game via the say/playSound command.

I've dePBOed the dubbing.pbo from the ArmA2\Addons directory in order to find to way to either inherit the sound paths for use in the mission via entering/inheriting them in the description.ext.

I've read around the forums on inheritance and description.ext files but I'm really at a loss on how to do this! I've even tried dissecting some the armory/BIS missions description.ext files but it's still all very confusing for me.

For example if I wanted to try using the command say for the already defined "beep" or "tango", how would I go about incorporating this into the description.ext.

From dubbing.pbo:

class RadioProtocolEN: RadioProtocolBase
{
class Words
{
 beepBeep[] = {"\ca\dubbing\GLOBAL\RADIO\beep"};
 tango[] = {"EN\alphabet\tango"};

Inheriting via the mission description.ext:

class Words;
class CfgSounds: Words 
		{
     	beepBeep[] = {"\ca\dubbing\GLOBAL\RADIO\beep"};
                       };

I have also tried directing to the .wss file directly without inheritance via mission description.ext:

class CfgSounds
{
sound [] = {};
class beepBIS1 {sound[] = {"\ca\dubbing\global\radio\beep.wss", db-20, 1}; 
name = "";
titles[] = {0}; };
};

Clearly none of the above does not works and I'm a bit lost.

It's also somewhat confusing with the inheritance 'attempt' given the "tango" reference above in the dubbing.pbo, where "EN" is obviously not the complete path and the path string is added somehow to the EN I'm assuming.

I'm also at a loss on how the game defines these sounds without the .wss added to the end of the path, like you would if the .wss files were included in the mission PBO.

1) Why cannot I not source/direct to these .wss files directly, regardless of inheritance issues?

2) Can this be done without copying the beep.wss file to my mission and then defining the class that way but increasing mission file size (there are several .wss files I would like to use/source)?

3) Can this only be done via an addon and using a config.bin to replace/inherit/reference these sounds in the BIS dubbing.pbo addon? i.e. cannot be done via mission description.ext

Thankyou for the help and apologies for the number of "/" in the above post as I'm still trying to understand the definitions.

Edited by mad rabbit

Thanks!

I voted the feature up in DevHeaven. It's also nice to know I'm not completely terrible at ArmA2 coding.