Sign in to follow this  
ILoveSpaghetti

Script to cut off helicopter engine mid-flight

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here. I made this account a few months ago so i could get the Combined Operations script from a post here. Anyway, now that i've been playing the game a bit, i need some help from the community.

I rarely play missions (i've barely started the campaign on both titles), but i love flying helicopters. Most of the time i play, i go into the editor and set up small scenarios so i can fly and train myself. I've gotten good at flying, but i still have one problem: autorotations. Whenever i choose "engine off" from the action menu, the engine turns off like i want it to, but whenever i go to flare for the landing, the engine restarts, so i can't get an accurate experience. I've experimented with changing the fuel slider in the unit properties window, but that doesn't give me the amount of control over when it happens like i want it to.

so, my question to you is this: is there a script out there that will allow me to cut the engine power, at will, and not have the engine restart? Even better, is there one that has that, and a feature that can be activated so the engine cuts off randomly? that would be a big help in training, so i can automatically react to the power being cut.

if one doesn't exist, could someone help me make one/make one? i sure would appreciate it.

also, sorry if this is in the wrong place. i figured it would fit here best, but i could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time :p).

thanks in advance,

ILoveSpaghetti

Name your helicopter: heli

Trigger - Radio Alpha - repeatedly

onAct:

heli setFuel 0;

Then use 0-0-1 and it'll remove all your fuel and your engine will shut off.

Then have a 2nd trigger:

Trigger - Radio Bravo

onAct:

heli setDamage 0; heli setFuel 1;

That'll repair and refuel your helicopter so you can practice again without restarting, assuming you didn't destroy/flip it or anything.

Edited by kylania
oops! :)

onAct:

heli setDamage 1; heli setFuel 1;

That'll repair and refuel your helicopter so you can practice again without restarting, assuming you didn't destroy/flip it or anything.

That will refuel and explode your helicopter.

So you might want to use setDamage 0; instead ;)

You can also use various other amounts to simulate different scenarios.

E.g setDamage 0.9; will leave you in pretty hard situation with main damaged and tail rotor disabled, 0.5 with tail damaged etc etc...

Have fun and let the ground be soft for you.

Edited by Atredes

in training, so i can automatically react

well he wanted something random to react to.. balls on fire surely fits that bit :D

could try sethitting the engine and tail rotor so that they are both destroyed, then fixing them again at a specified time.

vehicle player setHit ["motor", 1]