Sign in to follow this  
spizone

Video Stuttering-Jittering

Not sure how to describe this, but when im in the Armoury and i view the different vehicles, my video starts jumping all over the place, the flyby seems to be allright but sometimes does it as well....

It also happens to start, intro videos in missions and champaigns...

It seems to get a little better when i turn v-sync on:confused:

My Sys Specs

Q9550 Stock Speed

9600Gt (260.99)

4G Ram 1333

Win 7 Ultimate 64

Arma2 Settings

Combine Ops

1280 x 1024 32

3d RES - 1280 x 1024

1800 View Distance

HDR Normal

Post Low

AA low

Everything else im happy with (ingame playing etc)

One more thing ive tryed both with and without mods.....

Marc

I guess you mean video cut scenes?

First thing to try with any stuttering is defrag HD.

It could be that your HD isn't fast enough. (Is it 7200rpm at least?)

I'm afraid with your GPU you might need to turn off AA and probably PP as well.

Keep screen res and 3d res the same

Texture detail on NORMAL

Texture memory on DEFAULT

Edited by EDcase

Ive exp with all diff combo settings to no sucess, it even happens on the lowest res with all settings to lo, the only thing i can think of is my GPU cant cope?....

i have 3 1Terra HDs, (2x samsung and 1x seagate), all just over a year and half old and all run 7200. I consistanly run "Ultra Defrag as well - game folder specific defrag......

Is not a game breaker or anything as im still playing well with no probs, just like i said b4 in Armoury when i preview it does it......

I have the same anomaly. I believe it's a processor speed issue or a drive speed issue.

I have a quad core 2.8Gig Intel Processor still. Slow by todays standards. I've noticed on peoples YouTube videos, if they have an I series Intel Processor, that jump is hardly even apparent.

It seems that the way the game handles vehicle movement, above a certain speed, it changes the way it processes the information. Or at the very least the way the camera tracks the object after a certain speed.

Observations-

-It happens for both ground vehicles and air vehicles.

-It happens right around a speed of 100-ish (approx?)

-Observing a moving vehicle from a stationary position does not produce those jitters in the observed moving vehicle.

-If the vehicles camera is rotated to view the vehicle from below it reduces the processors load since no ground scenery is visible. This seems to reduce the jitters greatly.

Good luck fixing it.

Nothing Follows.

Edited by frostybowman

Thx for all the replys , and will just have to live with it. does help a bit when u hit V-Sync on.......

Well back to Arma

Later

I have it to, and yes its only in the cut scenes that you can launch in the Armory. I don't think its a processor speed issue and its not a frame rate stutter like what happens in heavy campaign actions like the fps dropping out. Its more of a rapid-fire machine gun jitter effect momentarily or slightly longer as the camera pans. Like what it would look like if the camera was being panned by a person and they had a muscle spasm or a seizure for a moment. Other than this issue, the cut scenes play very smooth @ 1600 x 900 on my old HP laptop (see sig).

I have tried all sorts of combinations of in-game graphic settings as well as Catalyst Control Center turning off Catalyst AI, reducing MipMap detail, etc. What seemed to have the most effect at reducing the frequency of how often it happens was actually turning Shadow Detail up to Very High. I usually kept it on high. I remember reading that whether shadows are handled by the CPU on the motherboard or the GPU on the videocard has to do with what Shadow Detail setting is used. Perhaps something about going from High to Very high shifts the computational load for shadows somewhere different and free's up computational resources enough to mitigate whatever code conundrum is causing the random, momentary camera jittering. Who knows.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

UPDATE Of all the in-game video settings, an unlikely one: Interface Size.

Setting Interface Size to small or very small seems to have really reduced or almost eliminated the random camera jitter. Hmmm.... not sure why.