Sign in to follow this  
stoo65

Sample Bridge Model

If there are any Island makers or modelers that could give me a sample bridge model in p3d format, I'd be most grateful. I created a simple rectangular bridge with a geometry lod and a roadway lod and all my vehicles worked perfectly. I then modified it to have more detail and since then It doesn't work at all. I cannot replicate the original bridge. All my vehicles come up to the bridge, grind to a halt then travel around. I know this has always been an issue but I'm sure someone has a working bridge out there. I have just started using oxygen and I'm getting to grips with the basics. I have no idea about config files so any help would be welcome.

Hi Stoo...

Most of the time you can avoid the whole bridge-hesitating issue by tweaking the road/bridge overlay amount... there needs to be enough - but not too much! - overlap between the incoming road and the beginning of the bridge...

AI are generally a bit nervous about moving around on "objects", so the general idea is to "fool" them... they're proceeding confidently along a roadway then, before they know it, they're on the bridge! - that's a bit scary, but there is a definite AI roadway there so they follow that, then hopefully just "fall off" the end of that roadway onto the road proper again... Sometimes you see them hesitate coming off the bridge too... usually that overlap issue again...

As far as bridge models are concerned, your best bet is to take a look at the Arma 1 Sample Models...

I've used both of these bridge styles successfully, so they're definitely "working" if you get them lined up correctly...

As far as configs are concerned - these bridge models are used in several other peoples projects... CAA1 for sure, and probably an Icebreakr island or two - you can always just open those addons up and see how the bridges have been configged...

B

A single brigde/road element may not exceed 25m. If you stay below, AI has no probs with it.

2nd point is the named selections in the memory lod. Has to be the same as for usual roads.

e.g.

This bridge has a total length of 400m. Each road element has 25m and the pylons a seperate objects. AI has no probs with it.

http://arma2.battlegroundeurope.de/WIP/albums/ApplegateProject/110717_01.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try tweaking the overlap as you said Bushlurker. The only problem is that my bridge is crossing a motorway not a river, so I can't have any road showing under the bridge. I'll try the invisible road sections for this. Bushlurker, the link you gave me for the models contains no bridge sections. el76 I'll try the 25m sections if this does not work. I had the idea of inserting a road section as a proxy object but as I said before I have no idea about config files and even where to start.

Bushlurker, the link you gave me for the models contains no bridge sections.

Oops...

It's the Sample Environment Models you'll want...

A bridge over a motorway may prove to be problematic though... I've got something like that in one of my projects...

bridge.jpg

The AI don't like it at all... they can't cope with the idea of a road ABOVE another road... I think they just see two roads crossing...

Well... coming across the bridge from the NE in the pic they're fine - they're in the bridge groove and following it - motoring along... when they hit the section with road underneath they get confused and a little shaky, but they have forward momentum... before they've even really begun to hesitate they're already over and past that section, then they fall off the end of the bridge back onto a roadway and off they go - no problems...

Heading from SE to NW in the pic tho it's a different story... they're at that tricky "persuade me to get on the bridge groove" situation already when it's compounded by this confusing other road below... They stop... hesitate, then bugger off UNDER the bridge onto that little underpass road - thinking that's the way across. Then they discover the water - realise they can't go that way, so they backtrack back up to the bridge approach again - do some more hesitating... maybe even a second trip under the bridge to fail again...

Sometimes - after a few goes, they bite the bullet and go with the bridge route... once they're on and across that confusing road bit they're ok again and off they go across...

That projects on hold at the moment, but my plan was to replace the authentic roadway sections of the "underpass road" - just where it crosses the flyover - with "dummy" road parts with no roadway lod - the AI then won't see them as potential roadways and the bridge should become the only viable route...

B

Hi again, tried one of the sample bridges from the zip file (cheers Bushlurker). Vehicles still went mental at the bridge, so tried your idea of removing the road underneath which helped to a certain extent. The vehicles drove onto the bridge but started bouncing around. I'll just have to keep trying different combinations. Sorry to hear you've put your project on hold Bushlurker, is this the Scotland map you were working on. I was looking forward to some Scottish terrain.

Edited by Stoo65