Sign in to follow this  
Whyte_Out

New Addon soldiers for Arma:OA

Cheers for that matey, I'll have a look when I get home a bit later and hopefully get back to you ASAP with a solution :)

Right, well after a long hour and a half of debugging hopefully, it should appear in game now. Unfortunately I can't exactly tell you which thing caused the problem because I'm not too sure myself. For me, it was still crashing until I sorted it, I think this is probably down to the fact you have been using BinPBO to test whereas I have been using cPBO, you are using the "correct" PBO'er, just in the interest of time I use the other when I test.

Things I fixed/edited:

-Deleted a number of extra UV sets that were present on the model, all were blank and on items such as the 1.000 LOD and shadow LOD. The UV's used for textures won't be affected.

-Deleted the keyframes that were still present on the model in all LODs, could well have been the cause but not too sure.

-Edited the config in a couple ways, add "};" at the end because it was one short (I should have noticed first time round though!) and re-worked the inheritance to make it a bit more simple.

-Changed the name of the P3D file, just shortened it to Wytes_TL. Don't think it will have made much difference but I vaguely remember there being issues when lots of "_" underscores are used in the model.cfg and config. Also altered the pathname for the model in the config to fit the new name as well as the name in the model.cfg.

In game I noticed that there was still a lot of un-weighted parts of the model, not sure if it was like this before I started tinkering but I would make sure you have a back up of your model just in case it wasn't.

Link to model.cfg/config/P3D

You should be able to just drop the files into your wytes_tl folder :)

Hope it works your end.

No, I have not completely weighed everything. I am new to all of this it is my first model so yea I would imagine a lot of work that needs to be done. But thats why I cam this problem, I wanted to test make sure I could get it in game before I went any further. I will test and let you know the outcome, I am greatly appreciated for what you done man thanks so much. I will keep you updated.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Awesome man! they work on my end. Like you said needs to be weighed so I have to do some more reading to figure out how to do all that. I know you made a tutorial on it, just have to find it. So thats the cause why they fall to the ground like that, because there not weighed correct?

Well the link to my Overview of Weighting is here if you need it :)

The reason the parts of the model are down near the ground like with yours is because they haven't been added to a selection yet (part of weighting). Most of your stuff will end up as part of the Spine/1/2/3/ selections I'd imagine. Put very simply, adding to a selection tells part of the model how it will animate and the weighting will tell the part how much it will animate for the selection it is added to.

The easiest way to do this will be to create another LOD and copy/paste in the stuff you are weighting and adding to selections. then you can copy/paste it back onto the unit. Either way, back up your model before you start incase it goes really wrong. Can save a lot of frustration :)

Haha I did all this before I read this comment. But yea for me it ended up being trial and error, I did read your tutorial by the way and it helped a ton. My guy is all fixed up and stuff. Looks great in game now. Now for another whole new ball field ....Textures and 5 more soldiers to do...sigh I will keep you updated. Thanks so much for you help once again, means a lot. Thanks mate.

You're welcome, if you come up against any problems, just post them in here :)

Good luck with the project!

Alright man, they look great in game now that I fixed all the weights and such. But now come the textures..where do I begin? Obviously the UV layouts but when I transfer them over to the UV editor there all combined together and it just looks chaotic, and meshed together. I read on how to apply the textures and that seems easy enough, but seeing how I need to make some I think I first need the layouts of the soldier before I do anything correct?

it just looks chaotic

Ah yeah, when you open the UV editor it can look confusing. Not at my main computer at the moment so doing this by memory but once you open the UV editor if you select "filter" at the top and then "filter main textures" then you should be able to select individual textures and their relevant UV maps. If you wanted to merge two together you could drag and select the parts of a UV you want to merge and simply ctrl+c and then (using the filter thing to find another texture you want to merge it with) ctrl +v. Once pasted you can move it around by dragging and use the corner's to re-size it (Hope that makes sense. I can post pictures later if you like)

Yea mate seems easy enough. I will check it out and let you know how it goes. Thanks mate.

Ok so here is an update, I figured I would get the hang of texturing and UVmapping and such on just a regular model, before I move up to the ones I made. Here is the problem I am at. When In 3rd person...I see this:

arma2OA2011-08-0302-32-30-86.jpg

And when in 1st Person I see this:

arma2OA2011-08-0302-32-16-32.jpg

How do I fix this?

Edited by Whyte_Out

Looks like you haven't changed the View- Pilot LOD, as long as there isn't any extra detail on the model on the View - Pilot LOD (which isn't normally the case with infantry models) you can copy and paste the 1.000 LOD into the View - Pilot LOD. You will need to delete either the head (if one is present on the model) or remove the bysta.001 proxy which can be found in the selections, when you find it, select it, delete the triangle it highlights in the model view and then delete the selection itself. This stops a head being shown when you are in first person mode.

To elaborate slightly on why you get just a white model it's because applying textures and changing UV maps only changes it for the LOD you are currently working in (AFAIK) although there may be some way to apply changes to all for certain things.

ok, so in LODs I have 1.000-5.000 I am using biskowskis soldier template so I have not changed anything. And the LODs 2.000-5.000 all have heads on them except 1.000 LOD and the View-Pilot LOD.

ok, so in LODs I have 1.000-5.000 I am using biskowskis soldier template so I have not changed anything. And the LODs 2.000-5.000 all have heads on them except 1.000 LOD and the View-Pilot LOD.

Ok so copy over the LOD 1.000 into the View - Pilot LOD and find the "Bysta.001" and delete it (in the View - Pilot LOD that is). Should sort the issue :)

Hmm well which LOD is the one that has the working textures? In theory you should be able to just copy that over, not too sure why that wouldn't be working :s If it's still not working you can send it over and I can hopefully say what the issue is (in the morning anyway lol).

Well I Put the textures on the 1.000 LOD. I did that, and I tried putting on the View Pilot LOD and still didnt work.

Hmm, well send over the model (and textures) and I'll have a look at it and get back to you with why it isn't working.

You could also try making TGA's of the textures and pointing the model to those, I do this because it allows you to see the textures on the model in O2 so you know there and then if it is working. If you do that and get them working on the 1.000 LOD you could delete everything in the View - Pilot LOD and copy over the 1.000 one and hopefully it'll be ok lol

Hey mate,

I've not had an in detail look but I checked the path to the texture and it looked like this:

c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\documents\arma projects\uvtextures\new soldier.paa

Now although that will work in O2 (i think) in game that would cause issues and often the texture won't display.

You'll need to rename the path name so it is in relation to the P:/ drive that you installed with the editing tools. So assuming it is the folder "uvtextures" in P:/ drive then the path would look something like this:

uvtextures\new soldier.paa

Hopefully that should work ok if you do that :)

ok, man thanks again for all your help. I will check it out later and let you know how it is. Thanks again mate. actually should I go into the config file to rename it or in the O2 to do it? Where exactly should I rename this file?

Edited by Whyte_Out

ok, man thanks again for all your help. I will check it out later and let you know how it is. Thanks again mate. actually should I go into the config file to rename it or in the O2 to do it? Where exactly should I rename this file?

Ah yeah, forgot to say lol, you should do the renaming in O2 :)

ya know mate...I tried what you said but still nothing, ha I dunno why this has to be so complicating. Maybe I am not doing something right within O2. Like naming and such, not really sure.

Hmm, does the 1.000 LOD still look ok?

Might be worth going into the View - Pilot LOD and change the texture using the face properties button (little green triangle). You will need to have the texture selected on the model (by that I mean all the parts of the model that use it highlighted).

You can select it all easily by pressing Alt + T to open the texture library, with it opened hold down CTRL and double click on the texture in the list:

window.jpg

You can then use the face properties to browse to the texture in P drive (not through documents and ARMA Work or whatever it is called)

texture.jpg

Hope that helps :)