Sign in to follow this  
dokrok5150

helicopters hate me

I'm new to ArmA but a vastly experienced gamer and I am working my way through the missions in Operation Arrowhead. To say that it's a bit overwhelming is an understatment. But I am willing to learn and hone my skills so I can have the same experience with the game you veterns do. That said, I have a couple questions (I'm sure more will come):

1) I'm in my tank as the commander and one of my retarded squad mates in another vehicle crashes (sent him ahead to scout, he runs over a pile of rocks instead of going AROUND it and flips - oww, I'm injured, help me). I pull up, exit my vehicle and kick him right where it hurts. Can't call a medic so I turn to re-enter my tank and - WTF? - it moves away from me. I move towards it - it moves away. I go the opposite direction - it follows me. It's like a bad dog - it stays just out of reach. I can't get in MY OWN TANK! Am I making some sort of newbit mistake?

2) I'm on the helicopter training and I can't controll nose up/down with my mouse (Microsoft Sidewinder). The nose will move up/down but won't stay put - it goes back to level. If I use the keyboard it seems I have to rapidly tap-dance the w/s keys to even remotely have a prayer of maintaing attitude. With auto-hover on I can move to my checkpoints but trying to land is giant fireball. So - any suggestions on my mouse issue? I'll never survive any missions at this rate.

thanks - Doc Rock, Green Bay WI

Hi dokrok5150,

welcome on the forum!

1: Your Tank is in formation with you, that means when you are the leader all units in your group follow you, may it be tanks, helis, cows or Tommy the shark.

press "space" or whatever is your command key and give the "stop" order to all or just to the driver.

2: Guess flying a heli with a mouse must be a real pain in the ...

Try it with your keyboard, better with a gamepad\flightstick.

Edit: Don´t really get your point.With auto-hover it should move back and you can only fly very slow (because it´s auto-hovered :p)

Landing should be much easier when turned on.

Open the editor, create a heli as yourself (you can set it as "flying") and practice a bit.

3: Don´t give up.When the keybindings flow and you gain control over all the things you will never play another game for a looong time.

Edited by Baraka