Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

What was the

Question: What was catacombs?

Answer:

"The first 3d shooter was a game called "CATACOMBS 3D". It was created by John Romero before he started on Wolfenstein 3D. It uses the almost the same engine. It was a heretic type of game with zombies and other ugly creatures."

Reading is hard, aint it? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ May 21 2002,14:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What was catacombs?<span id='postcolor'>

A game created by Id software. It was created by John Romero in 1991. One year later he created Wolfenstein 3D and it's expansion set Spear of Destiny all using the same engine.

Catacombs 3D (a.k.a. Catacombs; the Descent) in the follow up of the game "catacomb II" created also bu John in 1990. I myself have never found the first Catacomb in the series, but it should be an 80's game so it probably sucks.

catacomb3d.gif

catacomb3d.1.gifcatacomb3d.2.gifcatacomb3d.3.gifcatacomb3d.4.gif

Another 3D shooter appeared between Catacombs and Wolfenstein. This game was Hovertank.

hovertank.title.screen.gifhovertank.1.gif

Also a great game from Id.

There was another Catacomb game, it's name was Catacomb Abyss 3D. This game was actually done after Wolfenstein 3D by the people of Softdisk (who had the copyrights to Catacombs 3D) in 1992 as a sequel to the previous Catacomb 3-D game.

catacomb.abyss.3d.gif

The best 3d-shooter is Deus Ex. Although the game is refered to as shooter, the game a lot of RPG-elements. Also shooting wasn't always the case, as you could take the silent approach and hack into security systems, picklock your way in. Yup, my fav of all time. But not for long. Morrowind is released and will be in stores in Holland on 30th May. 31th Soldier of Fortune II will be here, but i want Morrowind first.

Very good RPG

+100 quests to complete

+300 dungeons to explore

+3000 NPC's

over 50 different customizable characters

open ended RPG

http://www.elderscrolls.com

will you be a warrior

will you be a sorceror

will you be a thief

will you be a healer

will you just be a monk in a monastary

NO LIMITS

I want it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ May 21 2002,07:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Question: What was catacombs?

Answer:

"The first 3d shooter was a game called "CATACOMBS 3D". It was created by John Romero before he started on Wolfenstein 3D. It uses the almost the same engine. It was a heretic type of game with zombies and other ugly creatures."

Reading is hard, aint it? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

CONTESTANT #1: I'll take early FPS for 100, Alex.

ALEX: "This game was created by John Romero before he started on Wolfenstein 3D. It uses the almost the same engine. It was a heretic type of game with zombies and other ugly creatures."

CONTESTANT #1: What is Catacombs?

ALEX: Correct for 100.  Pick again.

CONTESTANT #1: I'll take the Anus for 300.......

-=Die Alive=-

I can only say:

<span style='font-size:57pt;line-height:100%'>Dungeon Master</span>

Introduced in 1986 (yep thats what Armstrong, Gastovsky etc was doing after the 'war' smile.gif ) and one of the favourite games ever for many of BI's guys and gal (and for me).

Check it out:

http://dmweb.free.fr/