Sign in to follow this  
OntosMk1

Anyone for some general electric goodness?

I wouldnt mind seeing the Minigun modeled in OPF...I think it would make the Black Hawk loadouts a bit more realistic and honestly who wouldnt want to man a 6 barreled gun that spits a 4ft flame out the front while shooting 6000 or 5000 rounds per minute biggrin.gif

minigun.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OntosMk1 @ May 20 2002,19:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...honestly who wouldnt want to man a 6 barreled gun that spits a 4ft flame out the front while shooting 6000 or 5000 rounds per minute  biggrin.gif

minigun.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Me....I wanna have my MG3 and my G22 and I am happy...

I for one would just drool over it... I loved Kegety's Kiowa Warrior addon for the (quasi) minigun it carried. If there's one thing that makes a good war movie for me, it's heli gunships with GE miniguns! (Blackhawk Down, and We Were Soldiers come to mind as of late) I might be able to kobble together some VRML or .dxf files- my 3d modeling tools are limited to DogaCGAL-3. Is anyone else interested in putting something together?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DiscordianKnight @ May 21 2002,05:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I for one would just drool over it... I loved Kegety's Kiowa Warrior addon for the (quasi) minigun it carried. If there's one thing that makes a good war movie for me, it's heli gunships with GE miniguns! (Blackhawk Down, and We Were Soldiers come to mind as of late) I might be able to kobble together some VRML or .dxf files- my 3d modeling tools are limited to DogaCGAL-3. Is anyone else interested in putting something together?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm very interested. Actually all you should have to do is take the .50 cal door gun on the BlackhawkMG "blocks" and shorten the barrel (by pulling them back inside the weapon) so that only the barrel shroud is left (the part of the reciever that the barrel goes into). If you stretch the barrel shroud a bit, perhaps modify other parts of the receiver a bit and re-texture the shroud to look like multiple barrels, it should look fairly close to a 7.62mm minigun. Oh...and then of coarse ask Kegetys for permission to use his minigun from the Kiowa warrior for the sound and high rate of fire.

I'm actually surprised that nobody else has done this yet. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Firstly, before attempting this, I would like to solicit info from any of you out there (Rangers, helo pilots, crew chiefs, etc.) who might have any experience with firing one of these beasts. How difficult was it to control? How many rounds in the hopper? And so forth. Some things just aren't available in the officials specs, after all, and are definitely worth including in a decent mod.

Postscript- For me the prospect of building and skinning an entirely new model is more exciting than simply reskinning OFP's mounted M2; but then I am a person longer on 3d modeling experience than on actual OFP editing... Comments, suggestions, complaints and info welcomed.

you can add the minigun from the kiowa to the blackhawk, much fun but the muzzle flash from the M-2 makes things a bit annoying

biggrin.gif

I'm not in the Military but I have Fired both the m134 and the m61a1 20mm vulcan canon. The Minigun was very easy to control both on the 5000 rounds per minute setting and the 6000 rounds per minute setting. The only serious problem i ran into was shooting at night without a flash suppresser. The 5ft tongue of flame tends to ruin any sort of "night vision" you have. I was always taught to close one eye while firing during night shoots but of course i didnt. As far as ammo i think the Ah-6 carried a 50,000 round hopper in the cargo area in back. Bad things is that at 100 rounds a second 50,000 rounds isnt all that much wink.gif It all goes buy pretty quik. I've got some stills of the guns so ill try and scan them and throw them up for ya:) For those of you who doubt me...go to a place called Knobs Creek Kentucky in Bullet county. Twice a year they have a "machine gun shoot". People come from all over to see and fire some of the ordanence brought to the range. I've fired everything from a .22 cal maskeet rifle to a 40mm Bofors canon. MUCH fun smile.gif

actually only 60 rounds per second, but who's counting biggrin.gif

i was working on one, but alas, the damn thing wouldn't p3d2obj, and i went to play morrowind.