Sign in to follow this  
Gripen

Newcomer question regarding ArmA2:OA and engine

Hi there,

Myself and a mate have started playing ArmA 2 OA + DLC's and so far we love it! ;) :D

I have some questions regarding configuration, if any of you can answer it would be great

1. Does ArmA2: OA + DLC automatically use multi-core / multi-threading or do I need to do anything with commandline arguments -exThread or something like that? One of us has a i7 860 and one of us a i7 920.

2. If I apply the latest patches from this forum on the steam version, will I automatically get updated via steam to the next patch or will it fail and we have to redownload/install?

3. Will a 64bit client come out, is BIS busy with engine improvements in those areas or will that only be for a new version of ArmA?

4. I've read that in the configuration options setting Video Memory to Very high only uses 512mb of VRAM (!?!) and if you set it to default it will read it from the configuration, thus if I set it to 1.5GB (GTX 480) in the configuration and default setting that could/would improve my performance? Or is there a downside to this?

5. Will BIS keep updating ArmA2:OA and the engine in the future?

Regards!

1. Yes. Its automatic. You don't need any commandline arguments-- unless you want to limit the number of cores used.

2. Steam will update with the latest version automagicaly. If you apply the regular patch, this MAY disrupt future Autoupdates by steam-- but it shouldn't.

3. Unlikely.

4. Don't know. I run it on high. (1gig of video ram *shrug*)

5. BIS engine has been used and updated since 2001. Its also being used for the next helicopter sim from this studio. Make of that what you will.

-k