Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Jimbo

A question about 3ds

Granted, those numbers are for triangles.

But, 1 quad is made up of 2 triangles. That means that 4000 triangles is 2000 quads.

And from what I can tell, OFP works mainly with triangles. With some exceptions. But you should always make game models with triangles.

Hmm...I think I can take off 2000 polys from my 6299 collection of polys...

It's still way to high. If you shave 2000 polys off that model, it will still weigh in at 4299 polys, or 8598 triangles <-- Way to detailed!

If you can't shave more than 2000 polys off of that, I think you need to start over with a new model. And this time, think ahead. Figure out right from the start where you can loose detail.

EDIT: Just from looking at the picture of that EA-6B Prowler, I can easily spot 4 different places where you need to loose detail.

1) Around the intakes. Waaaay to many polys there. I suggest you make it a low detail edge. Like this:

__

\

/

---

If that made any sense. Otherwise, send me the file and I will demonstrate.

2) The wings and tailfin. You only need 2 or 3 polys to model the upper/lower side of those. And the edges are far to rounded there as well.

3) Nosecone, same here. Reconstruct it completely.

4) The main body of the aircraft. No need to make it so rounded. The same goes here, the OFP textures will round it off, and make it look more detailed.

EDIT: Because of extreme stupidity from KTottE, the website URL has been deleted. Infact, there was no webpage. KTottE thought he had saved the page, but clearly he didn't. Or maybe it was geocities that f*cked everything up...

Yay, I Have managed to shave off 2000 polys...around 4100 polys. Yes, i have now 8 faces per intake. I remodeled the nose cone, and I'm working on shaving off some polys upon the tail.

Thanks!

BTW. KTotte, your website dose not work...tried grtting to the root, but said that your website is under construction...

Doh, stupid me!

I gave you the wrong URL...

But since you've managed without it I don't have to give you the real one.

Good luck with your modelling.