Sign in to follow this  
mattshaw

OPF through Parallels on a Mac

Hi guys,

I'm not hopeful on a solution to this problem but here goes...

I'm trying to run Operation Flashpoint on an Intel Mac through Parallels. I have XP installed and actually installing the game seems to go exactly to plan.

When I come to run the game either on its own or through the settings, it shows the Operation Flashpoint loading banner thing, the CD starts whirring and tracking, (all normal so far I think) but then the process just disappears and I'm left with nothing.

The same happens when I try to run a patch - I get the loading banner for a few seconds but then the process dies again.

Really hope there's some help out there - I've been reminiscing about this game with a mate recently and when I dug it out of a pile of old games I got worryingly excited! :bounce3:

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Matt

Check your crash files:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Crash_Files#Operation_Flashpoint

The "flashpoint.rpt" file should be plain text & readable - it may provide you with more specific info on why OFP crashed. If your crash report doesn't give you an obvious answer you can post any cryptic errors here so others can have a better idea of what's preventing it from running.

Thanks for the reply f00bar.

It doesn't seem that there have been any crash files generated - it must not get far enough into the process :confused:

Make sure you are using the retail distribution CD media that you originally bought & make sure they are not scratched or damaged.

Are you able to run the "FlashpointPreferences.exe" (or OpFlashPreferences.exe if you are not using Resistance) file? If you are, make sure it is able to update & save the "Flashpoint.cfg" file (this file should have a recent timestamp).

OFP should work with Parallels on Mac according to what I could see on their support forums.

You could also try installing the Resistance 1.78 Single Player Demo:

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/Operation_Flashpoint_Resistance_Single_Player_Demo;13457

to see if that works.

You should also see some SETUP*.LOG files in your install directory. Take a look at those and let me know what's in them.

Edited by f00bar

Looks like it's writing to the Flashpoint.cfg file (I've got a first release of the game - no fancy Resistance or anything so it's OpFlashPreferences.exe)

I have just the one SETUP.LOG file, the contents of which are:

D:C:\Program Files

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Worlds

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Worlds\abel.wrp

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Worlds\cain.wrp

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Worlds\eden.wrp

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Worlds\intro.wrp

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\01TakeTheCar.ABEL.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\02Infantry.Abel.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\03Bomberman.CAIN.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\04Helitrain.ABEL.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\05HeavyMetal.Eden.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\06Ninjas.EDEN.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\07ShadowKiller.ABEL.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\08LoneWolf.Cain.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\09SniperTeam.Cain.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\10Commander.ABEL.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Missions\11CleanSweepII.EDEN.pbo

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Campaigns

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Campaigns\1985.pbo

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\MPMissions

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\MPMissions\1-8_D_FlagFight.ABEL.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\MPMissions\1-8_D_Paintball.ABEL.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\MPMissions\2-5_Cooperative.Eden.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\MPMissions\2-8_HoldCity.Cain.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\MPMissions\2-8_T_CaptureTheFlag1.EDEN.pbo

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\BIN

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\BIN\config.bin

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\BIN\resource.bin

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\BIN\stringtable.csv

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Abel.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Anim.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\anims.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Cain.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Data.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Data3D.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\dtaext.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Eden.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Fonts.pbo

D:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\HWTL

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\HWTL\Data.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\HWTL\Data3D.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\HWTL\Merged.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\LandText.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Music.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\scripts.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Sound.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA\Voice.pbo

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\OperationFlashpoint.exe

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\OpFlashPreferences.exe

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\is3Dfx.dll

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\ReadMe.chm

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\ReadMe.French.chm

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\ReadMe.German.chm

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\ReadMe.Italian.chm

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\ReadMe.Spanish.chm

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\UnInstall.exe

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Register.url

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\GameSpy.url

D:C:\Documents and Settings

D:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

D:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu

D:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs

D:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters

D:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint

F:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Register Online for free Upgrades.lnk

F:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Play Operation Flashpoint Free Online with GameSpy Arcade.lnk

F:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Operation Flashpoint.lnk

F:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Operation Flashpoint Preferences.lnk

F:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Read Me.lnk

F:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\UnInstall Operation Flashpoint.lnk

K:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Operation Flashpoint

K:Software\Codemasters

K:Software\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint

F:C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\SETUP.LOG

Hmm my last post doesn't seem to have posted... but anyway, was still having problems until I installed the Resistance demo, which for some reason seems to have allowed me to run the update for the main game, which in turn allowed me to select "parallels video" or something similar in the settings, and now it's all working! And really really smoothly too!

Thanks so much for your help f00bar, massively happy that I can play this again. Definitely grabbing a copy of Resistance of eBay too when I'm done with the main game again!!

Cheers again!

Matt

Hmm my last post doesn't seem to have posted...

Fixed. Dunno what that was about.

Fixed. Dunno what that was about.

kiitos!

I'm breaking everything, obviously :)

Glad you got it working! Resistance & the latest (1.96) patch are definitely worth it to get the most out of what OFP has to offer. There are hundreds of Addons & Mods available on:

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/ and;

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/

...many of which require version 1.96 to work. Poke around these forums & you will find lots of surprises.

If you can, you should try to post an explanation of how you fixed your parallels issue so other users can find the solution. Perhaps posting the contents of your working flashpoint.cfg file in a spoiler would help to document your fix.:)

Thanks for the links! When I've stopped having to work evenings and weekends I'll get stuck in :)

I'll post my config file when I get home, but for anyone stumbling across this post - I think the main issue is the display. If you can easily patch your game then you should get it up to the latest working version before running. That will at least get you to the point where you'll get error messages!

If you can't patch properly, installing the resistance demo worked for me. After this I could patch the game.

Following all this, errors will still appear until you run parallels in full screen mode, rather than any of the 'crystal' or 'coherence' options.

I'm running it on an iMac with the 2560x1440 resolution screen, intel quad core i5. Runs absolutely amazingly when all problems are sorted!

Thanks again for all the help :bounce3:

wtf, gaming with a virtual machine, and it works????