Sign in to follow this  
USSoldier11B

I've had it

I recently acquired Return to Castle Wolfenstien. My Matrox G200 video card really renders it shitty compared to the ATI Radeon that my boss has on his computer. Also the Matrox cards seem to have some kind of problem with Glide.dll. The G200 rendered OFP very well, but I'm anticipating that it will not do so when Resistance is released. What is a good video card to buy? Just don't say the Nvidea G4 Ti 4600 because that fucker is $400.00 and out of my price range.

come over to the dark side...

grab a GeForce 3 Ti series, and if not that, a GeForce 4 mx

I'm looking to spend about 200 bones. It's either Nvidia or ATI, just don't know which one to buy.

screw ATI, their drivers are awful. Besides, Nvidia will be squeezing them out of the market in a few years anyways.

go to www.pricewatch.com for some good deals, but watch yer ass with some of the companies, or at least that is what people say. Myself, I have had no problems with them. Anyhow, you can get a GeForce 3 Ti500 for about $160 there

How about 230$? That what i got my GeForce 3 Ti 200 for, and its got 128 megs of RAM. You may need to upgrade your system a little to get the full potential out of it, but its a good card.

Yeah, I agree with Tex. Get a Geforce3 Ti 500. Or even better a Geforce3 (the original) - better quality components then the titanium series.

Actually, I saw a GeF4 Ti4200 for $169, but I figured that it probably is just a cheap cash in on slightly bulked up hardware, and it is just more worth it to go with the GeF3 (which is a really, really good card)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Get a Geforce3 Ti 500<span id='postcolor'>

How much $$$?

What kind of system upgrades would I need to get the full potential out of it? Also it can't be PCI, it has to be AGP because I'm out of PCI slots.

The Ti 200 that i have is AGP, and i think you just need a certain mother board to go with it. I was suffering from in compatability issues cause i have a VIA motherboard and such. there are probably ways to research the compatability of a product.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 15 2002,08:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Get a Geforce3 Ti 500<span id='postcolor'>

How much $$$?

What kind of system upgrades would I need to get the full potential out of it? Also it can't be PCI, it has to be AGP because I'm out of PCI slots.<span id='postcolor'>

well, like I said, I found one on pricewatch for $158, and other places you could probably find it for 170 to 180.

Well, what kind of system do you have, processor wise?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, what kind of system do you have, processor wise?

<span id='postcolor'>

800 mHz PIII, 256 mb RAM.

that ought to work just fine, unless I dont know something. And get some more ram while you are at it. another stick of 128 will do you good

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And get some more ram while you are at it. another stick of 128 will do you good

<span id='postcolor'>

I'd like too, I just don't have any slots left to stick it in. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 15 2002,08:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And get some more ram while you are at it. another stick of 128 will do you good

<span id='postcolor'>

I'd like too, I just don't have any slots left to stick it in. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

well, then make a strategic withdrawal of a stick of 64, and stick in a 128. I know, it sucks to throw money way like that, but think of it as a net gain of 64 mbs of ram

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 15 2002,08:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm pretty sure that I have two sticks of 128. Right?<span id='postcolor'>

You only have 2 slots?! If thats so, just say fuckit and buy a new one, cause that ol hoss has run its race.

Damn it! I want a new video card. I can't afford to build a new fucking computer right now. mad.gif

okay okay. just grab yourself the best GeForce 3 that you can fit into your price range. Is that cool?

well, you can only fit so much ram into a stick. I have 2 sticks of 64 mb and 2 sticks of 256 mb, but it is also RDRAM, so there may be a difference...

Most computers have 4 ram slots, at least the ones I have seen

Im going to say it anyway......

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>BUY A GF4 Ti4600 FROM ASUS</span>

it was also out of my price range, but i thought ah, what the hell, i buy it anyway. I had no regrets so far. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well, you can only fit so much ram into a stick. I have 2 sticks of 64 mb and 2 sticks of 256 mb, but it is also RDRAM, so there may be a difference...

<span id='postcolor'>

So, does this mean I can pitch the two 128's and put in two 256's? That is an extra 256 mb of Ram. Totaling 512 mb of RAM? Is this even possible? All of the different types of RAM mystify me. Can some please explain it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 16 2002,03:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well, you can only fit so much ram into a stick. I have 2 sticks of 64 mb and 2 sticks of 256 mb, but it is also RDRAM, so there may be a difference...

<span id='postcolor'>

So, does this mean I can pitch the two 128's and put in two 256's? That is an extra 256 mb of Ram. Totaling 512 mb of RAM? Is this even possible? All of the different types of RAM mystify me. Can some please explain it?<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it is very important that you find the right kind of RAM for your system. If you have bought more rame before, check any documentation that might have come with it, or if you are absolutely stumped, check the actual RAM stick, and you should find what kind of RAM you need. If you can find 2 sticks of 256 that is the right RAM for your system, by all means, get it. Common types of ram go like this SDRAM, DDRAM (for Athlon processors), and RDRAM (for P4s). Im betting you have SDRAM, but the naming game doesnt end there. they also have a number that goes along with them, i.e. SDRAM PC 133, or RDRAM PC 800. Ill be honest, aside from knowing that higher numbers are faster, I dont know how those numbers work. Okay, but heres the deal: you CANNOT put RAM with a lower Pc XXX number in a system with RAM of a higher PC XXX number. It wont work. You CAN put RAM with a higher PC XXX number in a machine with RAM of a lower PC XXX number, but you wont get any performance increase, so it is more economical to get RAM that is identical to the stuff you have.