Sign in to follow this  
ShadowHatesYou

128+ slots?

I started playing milsim with the HL1 mod "Hostile Intent" years ago, and since then I've played The CoDs, MoHs, HL2:Insurgency, OFP: DR(Piece of crap), Battlefields, etc etc. Let me just say, Bohemia did Arma2:OA really well. It's the best sim I've played. It's got it's drawbacks, like having 9001 keys to bind, and lag on under-specced servers due to AI scripting and the like but because of this I'm throwing up a dedi on my server.

I'm going to try to do 128 slots on a 16 core(2.3ghz) opteron/32 GB DDR2/multihomed gige box. The files are rsyncing right now and we'll see how this works out. I've seen threads related to issues running a server w/ the steam version and Gentoo installs, but I should be able to work around it.

Hopefully when it goes up performance is acceptable. I hope it scales to 128 players on my hardware and we can all have some massive skirmishes, but if not I can always just run more than 1 server instance on the same box. In preemptive support of Bohemia, parallelism is hard when programming and most games don't offer *any* support beyond 2-4 cores.

We'll see!

:pistols: :681:

ArmA prefers higher clock speeds over that amount of cores (from what I've seen).

So an 8 core server @ 3.0ghz would perform better than that 16 core server @ 2.3ghz.

But I wish you luck and if you need players to test, I'll come try that out as I'm curious if it'll work.

I started playing milsim with the HL1 mod "Hostile Intent" years ago, and since then I've played The CoDs, MoHs, HL2:Insurgency, OFP: DR(Piece of crap), Battlefields, etc etc. Let me just say, Bohemia did Arma2:OA really well. It's the best sim I've played. It's got it's drawbacks, like having 9001 keys to bind, and lag on under-specced servers due to AI scripting and the like but because of this I'm throwing up a dedi on my server.

I'm going to try to do 128 slots on a 16 core(2.3ghz) opteron/32 GB DDR2/multihomed gige box. The files are rsyncing right now and we'll see how this works out. I've seen threads related to issues running a server w/ the steam version and Gentoo installs, but I should be able to work around it.

Hopefully when it goes up performance is acceptable. I hope it scales to 128 players on my hardware and we can all have some massive skirmishes, but if not I can always just run more than 1 server instance on the same box. In preemptive support of Bohemia, parallelism is hard when programming and most games don't offer *any* support beyond 2-4 cores.

We'll see!

:pistols: :681:

depending on which map u wanna Host...

with Valhalla we tested 100 people but that was to much.

Berzerk i dont know 128 we played every weekend never got more people together to test.

but as goosgamer say, u need the Player´s.

Yeah, from what I've been reading there's threading issues, but they've been improving. The box is a beast for the proper work loads(mysql/postgres/apache/lighty/MPI) but it requires parallelism and like I said, parallelism is hard. If it doesn't work out I'll be very sad though :(

Bohemia: More threading! Go multi-process if you need to and use domain sockets for IPC or something :D

I'm looking forward to this. Since IC-Arma I couldn't participate in any massive events (now current work does not let me have time for Charlie-Foxthrot campaign).

I think, Arma2 community is simply missing basic large scale battle server, like in example those which Mount&Blade Warband has.

The concept never-ending of a frontline battle between regular units is amusing. Always have been. I think that basic Capture & Hold seems best suited for this.

Exactly. When I saw Arma2 on youtube awhile ago(about a year and a half?) and saw the massive battles that could be had I thought "hmm, multiplayer would kick ass!", but the game was heavily CPU bound and my main machine was a laptop, then I was tied up with work. I totally forgot about ArmA2 until the christmas steam sale, and then went "OH YEAH!". Now that I've got a Q9450 @ 3.66 and 275GTX, how could I pass the game up? I'm *so* glad I purchased it. Single player isn't much fun to me right now, but after a couple weeks of playing multiplayer IMO it's definitely worth the CPU time.

PS: This server is owned, not rented, so hopefully this works and we'll have a giant server to play on for a long time :)

Edited by ShadowHatesYou

ShadowHatesYou, where is your server located and what type of line is it on?

It's on a gige line in Toronto with excellent peering to both the US and EU, <100ms(transit dependent) RTT. Asia's hit or miss depending on the country.

In Toronto? Sweet, 4 hours north of Toronto here.

Ima get myself a 20ms ping (approx)

Awesome. Finally got the arma2:oa files copied over. I tried launching after using the install script, and then configing the server with no luck. After reading through the (non helpful) error log that was complaining, I straced it and it turns out the install script didn't fully convert ./Expansion to ./expansion - ./expansion was created, but addons was still known as ./Expansion/Addons. Fixed that, and now it's launching and I'm tinkering with the configs. Shouldn't be too long now.

EDIT: Found another problem with the install script - it renamed MPMissions to mpmissions, even though the server hasn't been patched for the lowercase name. Damn you, POSIX!

3:37:14 Player ShadowHatesYou connected (id=4986502).

Cannot open file 'MPMissions\co30_Domination_2_28A2_West_AI_OA.Takistan.pbo'

EDIT 2:

Dealing with this now...

Config : some input after EndOfFile.

Bohemia: Why are your errors so meaningless? Atleast tell me the file that's causing trouble!

Edit 3:

Found the problem, no thanks to Bohemia's config parsing/error reporting. Server seems to be up and running, just trying to get Domination 2.54 going now

Edit 4:

Still stuck trying to get the map to actually load. It refuses to show up, and then when I login as admin and #missions the game crashes like so:

7:05:26 Player ShadowHatesYou connecting.

7:05:27 Player ShadowHatesYou connected (id=4986502).

7:05:35 Admin ShadowHatesYou logged in.

Cannot open file 'MPMissions\co30_Domination_2_54A2_West_OA.Takistan.pbo'

111/00/26, 7:05:39 Critical:Destroying running thread!

WATCHDOG (7151): [Wed Jan 26 07:05:39 UTC 2011] Server died, waiting to restart...

WATCHDOG (7151): [Wed Jan 26 07:05:44 UTC 2011] Starting server (port 2302)...

Of course, it should be fine:

shadow@tourian:~/arma/arma2oa> ls -hl MPMissions

total 4.4M

-rw-r--r-- 1 shadow shadow 2.5M Aug 26 22:35 co30_Domination_2_54A2_West_OA.Takistan.pbo

drwxr-xr-x 20 shadow shadow 4.0K Jan 26 05:50 co40_Domination.Takistan

drwxr-xr-x 2 shadow shadow 4.0K Jan 26 05:50 dom_maker

-rw-r--r-- 1 shadow shadow 2.0M Jun 6 2010 DTG.pdf

server.cfg Missions class:

class Missions

{

class COOP_Domination {

template="co30_Domination_2_54A2_West_OA.Takistan";

difficulty="veteran";

};

};

Edited by ShadowHatesYou

Server's finally up. The error output was making me think it was accepting case-sensitivity, when in reality it wasn't. Filenames must be all lowercase, no matter the server's output.

*starts removing symlinks*