Sign in to follow this  
mad rabbit

Bad CD Key for ArmA2:OA but not ArmA2

I sent the following to Placebo but any help from anyone in this matter would be appreciated:

(Sensitive portions XXX-out for obvious reasons)

----

Hi Placebo,

My name is XXX and I have been playing BIS games since OFP. I frequent the OGN (now UGN) server in Australia under the nickname 'mad rabbit' and have purchased every BIS game to date including OFP:R, ArmA, ArmA2 and recently ArmA2:OA. I have also seen you post on those forums on some occasions.

http://forums.ogn.com.au/member.php?u=2995

I have never had a problem with CD key invalidity with BIS games until now with ArmA2:OA. As such I researched the BIS forums and found-out your the person to contact in regards to this issue.

I have owned ArmA2 for sometime now and whilst I have never had a problem installing it or playing online, I have been unable to play it due to the steep system requirements (above the recommended in my opinion... but that's another issue).

As such after testing out the ArmA2:OA demo I decided to purchase this stand-alone expansion in the hope that it would run better on my system.

1)

On the first try after purchasing a copy of ArmA2:OA from EB Games, East Brunswick, Melbourne today on the 18/11/10, I installed it into the original ArmA2 directory which it seemed to default to and updated ArmA2:OA to 1.55. Please note my ArmA2 was already at 1.08. However I received a "Bad CD Key, Invalid CD KeySA1" message when I tried to join an online server! However I was able to play online with normal ArmA2.

2)

Thinking that perhaps the EB games store had not been diligent enough in removing the manual from the box I obtained a refund and purchased a completely new + never been opened copy from EB Games, Swanston St., Melbourne. After removing all traces both on the install and from the registry of the previous OA install, I installed this new copy with it's assoc. new CD key. I was able to start a sever to play a CTF map initially, but then received the same "Bad CD Key, Invalid CD KeySA1" message again when I tried to join a dedicated online server! Again I am still able to play online with normal ArmA2. I did not try to create another online server.

3)

As such for this third attempt I have removed all traces of ArmA2 and ArmA2:OA from my system and the registry, this included previous configuration files in the My Documents folder. I installed everything in the following order:

a) ArmA2 from DVD = 1.0?

b) Test online capability of ArmA2 by starting server online for others to join (due to old version) = PASSED.

c) ArmA2:OA from DVD = 1.51

d) This updated ArmA2 to 1.06.

e) Test online capability of ArmA2 by starting server online for others to join (due to old version) = PASSED.

f) Test online capability of ArmA2:OA by starting server online for others to join (due to old version) = FAILED [invalid CD Key].

g) Updated ArmA2:OA to 1.55 which in-turn updated ArmA2 to 1.08.

h) Test online capability of ArmA2 by trying to join a dedicated server online = PASSED.

i) Test online capability of ArmA2:OA by trying to join a dedicated server online = FAILED [bad CD Key, Invalid CD Key].

My only conclusion is that my computer for any ArmA2:OA install, but not ArmA2 install, has been black-listed for online play for some reason?! This seems to be specific to online play as I have no problems playing the game locally/on my computer...however I have to test it throughly to observe any FADE protection. I am also not sure what the significance of the "KeySA1" portion of the error message is as well.

As such I have provided my UserID details below for you to investigate:

ArmA2 = XXX

ArmA2:OA = XXX

Also my ArmA2:OA CD Key is (for the second purchase only, I did not record the first purchase):

XXX

I provide this in good faith despite breaking the 'never reveal your CD Key to anyone' rule, in order to expedite this process. I also assume these issues I am having have nothing to do with incorrect CD key entry during installation as ArmA2 or ArmA2:OA would not let me even begin the installation if this were the case. Please note I am also the only one who uses my computer and as such, I am installing and running these games as the administrator.

I can also provide scanned copies of my ArmA2 manual showing the CD key, my ArmA2:OA manual showing the CD key and the EB Games receipt for the purchase of ArmA2:OA (again only the second/replacement copy) if required.

Please assist me ASAP if you can or direct me to the relevant person.

Thankyou for your time.

Yours sincerely,

XXX 'mad rabbit' XXX

XXX@hotmail.com

wow.....i also purchased today on the 18th arma2OA from EB sydney and having the exact same problems.

I also contacted placebo but failed to mention i also was installing onto a original arma 2 directory that was all good for online play?

drinks all round to a somber start to me campaign:(

i too can provide all necessary legitimacy of arma2 and arma2OA by photos if need be......

Edited by zippo79

Maybe it's an anti-Australian release of ArmA2:OA?!

Installing to the original ArmA2 directory came-up as default. In addition the shortcut appears as 'Combined Operations' but I'm not sure if this signifies anything different to a stand-alone install of 'Operation Arrowhead'.

It's weird that Operation Arrowhead is supposed to be the improved engine yet it sits in the original ArmA2 directory like a mod under the folder Expansion.

EDIT: Found the following:

What file path should OA be in if Arma 2 is in D:\ArmA 2
OA should be in the exact same directory thus D:\ArmA 2

Perhaps I could try just installing 'Operation Arrowhead' to see if that works by itself without the overlay/presence of vanilla ArmA2? However after doing the above I'm reluctant to go through all that again and it doesn't make sense that this would be the issue anyway.

Just so you know as well zippo79, placebo's email 'placebo_bis@hotmail.com' does not seem to be valid after 2 attempts by myself. As such I'm hoping he sees my OGN/BIS forum PMs or comes across this post!

Edited by mad rabbit

Just so you know as well zippo79, placebo's email 'placebo_bis@hotmail.com' does not seem to be valid after 2 attempts by myself. As such I'm hoping he sees my OGN/BIS forum PMs or comes across this post!

That isn't a valid Email address it's for MSN only ;)

My work Email is Placebo@bistudio.com obviously I'll respond via PM or Email on these matters so we can continue via PM.